Stocking

tinkerbell

well, i have decided to start thinking about what im giong to put in my 19g.

i would like to preferably make it a species only tank, but on the other hand, i dont want anything that is gonna be really hard work, due to the fact that this will be my 6th aquarium, and i am currently trying to keep up with 7 a-levels ( i know im nutty - either that or a compulsive worker).

so does anyone have any ideas?!

What about a nice group of female bettas? If you buy enough of them, you won't have trouble with fighting. I have one tank that has 7 female bettas in it, and I have all different colours; red, blue, white/blue, white/pink, green & turquoise. It looks really pretty :)

In that tank I also have some zebra danios and some white clouds. I also have a bristlenose pleco.

I don't keep corydoras catfish with my female bettas since the bettas seem to eat all of the food before it hits the bottom. I have found my female bettas do best with fast moving top feeders.

Actually, my female betta tank is one of my favourites. Female bettas like lots of hiding places, little caves, driftwood, rock formations, plus plants.

lol. dont do breaks. :D

lots of people have suggested female bettas to me, but around here, we only get the plain ones. they all look kinda grey. :(

ill have a nosey about and see what i can find. :D

cheers for the help.

oh, and Justin - a pet rock just doesnt have the same appeal im afraid. :)

If the female bettas are very young, they won't show their true colours yet. They will look quite grey and most likely show horizontal stripes.

The white ones with the coloured tails, seem to show their colouring sooner.

The other thing I have thought of trying is either apistogramma cacatuoides (cockatoo dwarf cichlid) or apistogramma borellii.

lol. dont do breaks. :D

lots of people have suggested female bettas to me, but around here, we only get the plain ones. they all look kinda grey. :(

ill have a nosey about and see what i can find. :D

cheers for the help.

oh, and Justin - a pet rock just doesnt have the same appeal im afraid. :)

389562[/snapback]

the grey ones turn SUPER pretty!

I got one who turned copper, with bright red fins. my moms turned purple and green!

one I had turned the most gorgiose blue

You could prolly do 7 female in a 19. You wanna give them some extra room, because their nippy buggers.

Also, you can order female online.. on aquabid and from breeders

figured not tink, but i thought i'd put it out there anyways :)

that's cool 'bout the betas, i always thought you couldn't put more than one in the same aquarium, male or female. i might just have to remember that.

so you can put a bunch of females together, if you put a male in there too will they breed or fight, or both?

lol! how true...

im afraid i dont know alot about tiger barbs, but they have been suggested to me before, and appealed alot, its just i never had the room!! :lol:

so how ay barbs could i get in there? i think im right in saying Devs has kept them, and i think she said that they were violent little things.

anyone know anything about them?!

cheers for the help guys.

balashark,

Female bettas do well together. It is best if you keep them in groups of more than 5 and if you add them to the tank all at the same time.

I keep 6 female bettas in a 10 gallon with lots of little hidey holes and plants with no problem. I have had them for about 18 months now, and they are doing great!

No, you shouldn't put a male with them, just the girls :lol: .

I wouldn't know what to do if I had a 19 gal. If I had enough goldies, I'd go with female bettas (that would look so nice in a planted tank!) tiger barbs, or congo tetras. I once rescued a baby tiger barb. He was really sweet, but I'm assuming it was because he was scared, sick, and lonely. I had rescued him along with a baby moor and black neon, and the barb would always school with the neon. He was the first to pass away tho..It was really sad cuz he honestly was so cute, but it was probably for the best. A ten gallon tank can't hold all three, and although it would have been really sweet if he stayed friends with the tetra, I don't think it was probable. One day maybe :) Congo Tetras are large tetras with some really pretty finnage! I'm not sure how big they get, but you could probably keep a small school of them in a 19 gallon. Ack...I'm all fretting cuz I don't know which tank I'd choose. I don't even have the tank :P

:rolleyes: I think that you have "Run Amuck" on fish tanks lately!!! :lol: I wanna see a thread with all the set-ups and pics,so I can keep an eye on you. At some point,all those tanks will get a bit overwelming...ask Smack,she had a few problems.Anyway,start showing your stuff!!!! By the way,I definately like the idea of all the female Betta's.That would be quite interesting to look at,and something different compared to other people's tanks. :yeah:

Archived