School Fish Sos!

Guest Girl Nerd

Guest Girl Nerd
:pond HI EVERYONE! WELL AT MY HIGH SCHOOL WE HAVE A POND AND ABOUT 20 COMMON GOLDFISH, THESE FISH GET TREATED REALY BAD EG: THEY GET SPAT ON, RUBBISH DUMPED IN THE WATER AND ONLY EAT THE ALGEE THAT FORMS IN THEIR HOME. WELL ANYWAY, THE OTHER DAY I HAD A LOOK AT THE FISH AND NOTICED WHITE COTTON WOOL STUFF GROWING OF ABOUT 12 OF THE FISH. I STRAIGHT AWAY THORT WHITE SPOT AND EXPORED THE SCHOOL FOR WHO IS SUPPOSED TO LOOK AFTER THESE FISH. AFTER 45 MINUTES I FINNALLY FOUND THE TEACHERS. I TOLD THEM THAT I THINK ITS WHITE SPOT AND IT NEEDS TO BE TREATED BEFORE IT SPREADS TO THE OTHER FISH AND THAT I WOULD HELP TO CLEAN OUT THE GROSS PLACE THAT THOOSE POOR FISH ARE FORCED TO LIVE IN. SO DOSE ANYONE THINK I WAS RIGHT WITH MY DIGNOSIS? I'M FIXING THEM UP ON TUESDAY THE 6TH OF SEPTEMBER 2005, SO IF ANYONE COULD HELP ME I WOULD BE VERY GREATFUL, GIRL NERD :heart

The fish at your school are very lucky to have you watching out for them.

White spot looks like little grains of salt stuck on the fish. This doesn't sound like white spot.

It sounds more like a fungus or bacterial infection. How big is the pond?

Guest Girl Nerd

:hi5 Thanx for the help guys the pond is about a meter and a half long and about 40-50 cm deep. It must be some kind of fungus. Will the same chemical (for white spot) work for fungus? please write back soon

Girl Nerd

Guest Girl Nerd

That picture dosent look like what the fish here at school have. It's big white patches of wool looking stuff that on some fish sort of float of the side of them. Is it fungus?

Girl Nerd

There are a couple of things you could do. You could use a swab of hydrogen peroxide. Use the hydrogen peroxide that you buy for wounds. It will be marked 3%. Hold the fish in your hand, just above the water, and swab the fungus off with the hp. Use a q-tip dipped in the peroxide. Be careful not to get any of the peroxide in the fish's gills, eyes or mouth.

There will be a whitish patch after the swab from the peroxide, but that disappears in a few days.

In order to medicate, we would have to know the amount of water in the pond. I can calculate that if I know the dimensions.

So, if it is round, then the dimensions you gave me will work. Using 1.5 m across and 1 m deep, it would hold 1767 litres or approx 388 imperial gallons or 466 U.S. gallons.

If it is a rectangle, then could you tell me the width.

How is the pond being cared for? Is there a filter and water changes being done? If you could get a good care routine going, the fish would be a lot stronger and able to fight these kinds of things. Good water quality is the most important thing for fish health. Also, a good basic diet would be good for the fish rather than just having them eat algae.

If you can calculate the amount of water in the pond, I could suggest the dosage of salt that could be added. Salt would be helpful.

Otherwise there are medications that could be used, but you would have to have a fairly good idea of the amount of water in the pond in order to be able to medicate properly.

Here is a good website for calculating pond volume

http://www.watergardeningdirect.com/Advice...eCalculator.htm

Guest Girl Nerd

:goldfish: There NOT being cared for AT ALL!!!! I'm trying to get the school to sell the fish to people who will look after them or at least let me take them home and put them into MY pond (which dad said he'd make if worst came to worst). Also there's NO filter and the last time they changed the water it was at the start of the year. And the worst thing is that THEY DON"T FEED THEM!!!!! I saved some yesterday when i cleaned them out as much as i could but we found: broken glass, batteries, toys, rubbish and lots of bits of metal like zinc, copper and aluminium. The teacher said that she thinks that the pond holds about 300L or so. I've taken the resonsability for the 28 fish now but, i hope that let me sell them to people who WILL care for them :(

Girl Nerd

:newfish

P.S I took 2 fish home yesterday and they dont realy know how to eat "goldfish food"! Will they get the hang of it or not?

Have you been treating them with the peroxide? I had a moor who had the same thing you're describing, and he did not survive it. If you want the fish to make it you'll have to try and catch them and treat them.

Thats really nice you you to try to care of the fishies.People these days *grumble*

And it sounds like fungus-Good luck trying to fixem up ^_^

I'm not of much help :)Hopefully they'll be ok ^_^

The quickest fix you could do right now is to change out about 50% of the water and add new water. You will have to use a good water conditioner in the water that you replace. I would suggest Prime. If you can't get Prime, get Amquel +. Just keeping the water quality high will make a big difference.

Yes, the fish will get the hang of eating goldfish food. Once they catch on, they will love it. I find when I buy new fish, they often don't know about goldfish pellets, and it takes them a day or two to figure out that it is food, but they do :D

I hesitate to have you treat the water with anything unless you have a very good idea how much water the pond holds. Medication (and even salt) can make things worse if it is overdosed.

I am so glad that you are helping these fish, and please keep us posted on what is going on with them.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Girl Nerd

I did treat them with hydrogen peroxide and they did improve a little bit. But the school still isn't caring for them and i think i'm going to do a pettition to sell the fish and make the pond into a garden! What dose every1 think? :huh:

I think thats a good idea. I thinks its great you have taken the time to care for them aswell. But utimately if the school continues to neglet them then finding them good caring homes would be in the best interest for the fish to have a happy future.

Best of luck with it and let us know how it goes.

Hi Girl,

You've had some good advice so far. Clean the pond, anti-fungus by AP is good. Between the swab and good water Q and some anti-fungus they should be good to go. 20 fish in that 80 g's is way too many without filtration. Poor things.....

Good of you to care so much and I hope you can get them new homes or take them.

Archived