Need An Idea...

Guest JustJayde

Guest JustJayde

ok as you know if you read my posts, I took out the carbon and put in bio media.

I kept the fuzz in, obviously to grow buggies and to filter the guck........ problem is.....

without insert the fuzz falls over after a few days and plops into the tank! LOL (luckily I have caught it every time because the odd flow sound alerted me)

ANYWAY there is a plastic insert to hold it straight but then the bio media doesn't fit in........

I cant afford to change the bio stuff out until I use this whole box... so don't suggest "smaller" media.

The question is, can I take OUT the fuzz and toss in a normal chunk of sponge? (you know the pink/yellow/green/ can buy em anywhere sponges) or will that be too thick? (I can trim it as thin as possible too). that way I can push it in on TOP of the media tightly and it should stay put.

Ideas, suggestions? the fuzz just isn't working. :unsure:

Can I ask a few questions? :

Generally, the floss is suppose to sit behind the frame so that the water passes through the floss before it reaches the frame. Then, theres usually a gap between the frame and the waterfall. This gap is a great place to add a sponge to house some beneficial bacteria. The sponge will become the bio-media and you can toss the rocks or whatever your using. In the link below is a good explanaition of bio-media and whatnot. Towards the bottom of the first post, you will fins a pic of how I run my little HOB filters without buying cartridges:

http://www.kokosgoldfish.invisionzone.com/...showtopic=26495

You can even add some sponge strips to the area behind the floss. Or you can just use the sponge as the primary source of mechanical AND bio-filtration. Just like the aqua-clear line of filters. The sponges I use in the link are Aqua-clear replacement sponges. In fact, the only sponges I suggest you use are ones that are specifically sold as such.

If you have any questions left unanswered fire away....

Hope this helps! :D

Paul

Guest JustJayde

Toothless , I see this was moved but wanted to reply to you...

I put a picture of my filter up........ to show how I have it set up with the bio media.

The area the floss goes in , is between 2 open areas and if it isn't stuck in there properly it falls out into the tank it has about a half inch in front and behind it, for water to pass through and to catch the debris.

I have put the bio media in all the areas that could hold a few pieces but that makes it so I can't use the floss in it's properly inserted position.

A sponge would be more sturdy and I could push it down on top of the bio media.... make sense? so it is a tight fit. The water and debris would have to go through the sponge, the same way it does the floss... but would be more stable thus more able to stay in position.

I am not explaining myself well ......

and kissy, the bio stuff is too hard to cut......

No worries. Its a lot easier than it sounds.... ;)

If you could tell me the name and size of the filter you are using, I can research that particular model and tell you exactly how you could set it up to run as eficiently as it can.

Paul

Guest JustJayde

it's a topfin 10...........

and as I said I cant take the bio crap out because my tank just cycled and my fishie is happy. I just need to find a way to add a filter above the media, that the current can't kick out.

meaning non flimsy.

(the fuzz would be fine if it wouldn't wash out on the current without the little T frame (which is too long to fit with the bio stuff))

I have that filter! I'm getting a new one tho, cuz its breaking and wasn't a very good filter anyways. They have a limetime guarentee, so if you want a new filter, you can return it and get your money back. Just thought I'd let you know...in case it every comes in handy!

Guest JustJayde

Thanks kissy :)

so far mine is working perfectly... but I hope I didn't jinx myself ;)

I think I am going to put the frame in the fuzz and jam it as low as I can get it onto the bio media same as I would a sponge......

then take the top cover off and cover it with saran wrap instead.

Fish can't get at it , and it will do it's job.

:D

I will do it today and clean his tank today because any time that filter moves it releases icky debris into his water. :krazy:

Archived