High Protien Foods

blinky000

i was reading in the goldfish bible something about the protien in the poo of the fish that causes the start of the nitrogen cycle with the breakdown of it causing ammonia so i was thinking... if you increased the fishes intake of protien then surely more would come out the other end, thus increasing the ammonia levels in the water if not being converted properly, so in a small tank that hasnt been fully cycled yet, would it be an idea for the fish to lay off the high protien foods so the ammonia doesnt drastically spike? is this right or am i totally barking up the wrong tree?

Amy, the only thing that comes to my mind is the speed of which different foods are digested, and how much of that food can actually be utilized by the fish. If its some food that passes through rather quickly through the fish without being absorbed (kind of like fiber for us), then a lot of waste would go into the water, yes.

If the fish would eat easily digestable food of which most of it he can absorb, and therefore the poop is a lot less, then obviously the ammonia would be lower.

I don't know how fast/slow protein is absorbed by fish, though... :)

Amy, the only thing that comes to my mind is the speed of which different foods are digested, and how much of that food can actually be utilized by the fish. If its some food that passes through rather quickly through the fish without being absorbed (kind of like fiber for us), then a lot of waste would go into the water, yes.

If the fish would eat easily digestable food of which most of it he can absorb, and therefore the poop is a lot less, then obviously the ammonia would be lower.

I don't know how fast/slow protein is absorbed by fish, though... :)

390903[/snapback]

hey ranchu girl I'm planning an article on digestibility would you like to help? I need a bit more info and you seem to know a bit yourself...

Archived