I Know He's Sick, But What Do I Do?

Guest jshearman

Guest jshearman

Water params are all good...Now...Yes, I was bad and went 2 weeks without changing him. I feel so guilty!

Ammonia 0

Nitrate 10 ppm

Nitrite 0

ph 7.4

30 gallon established tank, only fish

330 biowheel

1 tablespoon salt per 5 gallons, no other meds

temp approx. 76 deg F

His Symptoms:

1) Sitting on the bottom, but will swim if I get close

2) Not eating -- tried medi-gold and fresh peas

3) Red spots/sores on tail that seem to be eating holes in it

4) Red spot /sore on tummy from sitting on the bottom of the tank?

You can see photos here:

http://melhuish.org/gallery/thumbnails.php?album=7&page=1

Please help. I've had this fish for a long time and I don't want to lose him.

He is a nice looking fish. Hopefully we can get him feeling better.

Reddness on the belly can be an indication of a internal bacterial infection. I would start him on Metromed (from goldfish connection) right away. I would feed him that and only that for 2 weeks.

Since he won't eat you'll need to force feed him with a syringe or by holding him.

Of course the best thing for him is to do antibotic injections. Do you have a vet that treats fish near you?

Or if you have a good relationship with your vet you can get the meds and do it yourself.

Doc Johnson has a book out on doses and how to's.

The red streaks are not a good sign, this could mean that the infection is in the blood stream.......septicimia and is often fatal without the injections.

Keep us posted and good luck with him.

Guest jshearman

Thanks Laurie. I also sent the photos to Rick at Goldfish Connection. I have Doc Johnson's book, but don't know if there is a fish vet anywhere close to where I am -- I'm in Boston. My cats have a visiting vet who might be able to help. I will call and check. In the meantime, I'll check into getting the Metro-med shipped overnight.

Guest D3ADEYES

in boston you can goto the world fanous Angel Memorial in Jamica Plain on huntington ave just down the street from th JPVA hosptial give them a call

They will treat anything !!!!!!!!!!

Just becareful it is very easy to walk in with 1 sick pet and walk out with 2 healthy ones

Guest jshearman

OK, I called Angell Memorial. They only have one vet and they can't get me in until the 12th. I don't think I can wait that long. I took the appointment, but I'm going to have to try to help him myself in the meantime. I also have no idea how I'm going to get him into Angell, but I'll cross that bridge when I come to it.

Guest jshearman
Excellent, Rick should be able to help you.  Let us know how it is going.

388643[/snapback]

Hi Laurie,

I heard back from Rick. He recommends Anti-Bac-Bath since he won't eat the Medi-gold. The spot on his stomach seems a bit less this morning, but he's still sitting on the bottom of the tank :( I'm beginning to wonder about my filtration setup. I know that two weeks is too long for a water change, but he is just one fish in a 30 gallon tank. I'm currently running a 330 penquin biowheel. Maybe that's not enough? I've ALWAYS had trouble managing the nitrates. What do you think?

Thanks, Jennifer

hi there

i'm just a GF newbie but from the pics i thought the scales are very slightly lifted and the eye looks kinda protruding out. early sign of dropsy maybe? hope he's gonna get thru this, such a lovely fish!

Jennifer, I would think that 2 weeks should be ok, but did you test the water during that period? That would tell you for sure if it was ok.

Overfeeding can be an issue with only one fish to make the nitrates high.

What are they now?

Guest jshearman

Hi Laurie,

The nitrates now are at 10 ppm. Maybe I have been overfeeding him. He's a big fish, about the size of my hand, not including his fins. I usually feed him twice a day, 20 pellets of pro-gold each time. I haven't been testing the nitrates during the week -- just changing him every week and then running the tests the next day. I now realize that's probably not the right way to do it. At the moment, however, I am testing every day and changing about 20 percent of the water every other day. He seemed a bit better this morning. He even ate a few pellets of the medi-gold. He swims around for a bit and then settles down on the bottom so I know he's still not well, plus the marks on his fins are still there. :-( I hope the anti-bac-bath gets here soon.

Guest jshearman

I wanted to update you all on Charlie. He is still struggling. I treated him with Anti-Bac-Bath and while the dropsy seemed to be better, he was still sitting on the bottom and not eating. I was desperate. I really LOVE this fish. My husband managed to track down an aquatic vet at Tufts and I brought Charlie in today. He received one injection of florfenicol and I will give him another in 3 days -- if he makes it that long. When I brought him home, I had to do a 75% water change as the final step in the Anti-Back-Bath and when I tested the water, I noticed the Ammonia was high. #$)#(%*#%&$*%(&! I couldn't believe it. I had taken the biowheels out and put them in a bucket of tank water when I treated with the Anti-Bac-Bath, but the bio filter must've died?! I can't believe it. I put what Ammo-lock I had into the tank and also Ammo chips in a bag. That's all I can do for tonight. I hope he makes it until tomorrow. I am very worried. I'll go buy Biospira tomorrow -- luckily my LFS has it. That's about all that I can do -- then I'll just have to let nature take its course. If he's going to die, I hope he goes quickly. I don't want to watch him suffer. :(

WEll I am glad to hear the vet was able to start his injections.

AS for the cycle crashing, that is typical with medication. Antibotics kill bacteria good or bad......so watch it closely.

How often are you to use the anti bac bath?

Guest jshearman

Hi Laurie,

The Anti-Bac Bath is a two day treatment. First day, 50% water change and medicine. Second day, 25% water change and medicine. Third day, 75% water change. I finished on Friday -- the same day that Charlie received his first injection. His next , and final injection -- is on Monday. I actually took the biowheels out of the system when I treated him and put them in a separate bucket of water, so I was surprised that they died. I was fortunate to be able to get some Biospira today so that should sort that out. I can't even begin to tell you the OBSCENE amounts of money that I have spent -- oh well, this is what we do for our pets. Although I do feel somewhat guilty when you look at the veterinary care that we have in the U.S. versus some third world medical systems. But I digress...Charlie is still not eating. I'll keep you posted. Thanks for all your help, Jennifer

You are welcome. I am sure the vet bills are up there. I am a vet tech, haven't worked with a vet that did fish but I can imagine the cost.

Keep us posted on his progress.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest jshearman

I wanted to update you all on Charlie's progress. After his injections, he initially seemed to get better, but then he seemed to fail -- sitting on the bottom of the tank again and not eating. I was really desperate so my husband and I did something crazy this weekend -- we drove to my parents house to get 30 gallons of water to replace all the water in Charlie's tank. They have a different water treatment supplier than we do. This morning Charlie actually seemed a bit better, spending less time sitting on the bottom and even eating 20 or so pellets, which he hasn't done in a long time. Two months ago our water supplier (MWRA) changed to ozone treatment and Charlie hasn't seemed right since. The water seems to bother me as well -- really irritating -- but I thought it was all in my head. All along, I've been checking the water coming off the tap and in the tank and everything seemed OK. So, I just couldn't believe it would be the water. But then after the injection didn't seem to work, I couldn't imagine what else it could be but the water. And like I said, I was desperate. I don't know whether or not Charlie is going to get better, or whether the water is really making that much of a difference, but if he does, this is REALLY disturbing. I mean, we drink this water. I actually had a conversation with Joann Burke about this and she said she has received several calls about people with problems with their fish and the only common denominator is that their water supplier recently changed to ozone treatment.

Archived