Koi Stock/show Tubs?

jsrtist

Im a little off today but? why cant I find any suppliers online!? LOL I have been Googling it and have only found PondPetsUSA so far. I am looking for one of about 1,000 gallons or so as a temporary koi/goldfish home.

I have been writing a lot about the problems Ive run into while building my in-ground pond, most notably that my soil is so soft that about half of it has collapsed. :( My husband just found out that he may be able to apply for a higher paying job in his company and could be transferred, possibly in the next year. So now I am weighing out decisions regarding the pond?do I really want to spend all this time and money to build it when I may not even be able to enjoy it? What would I do with the fish? I have raised them from tiny babies and am very attached and would want to take them with me. Plus, if the people who move in dont want a pond, it may just get trashed and may even deter people from wanting to buy the house because of it.

So I was thinking of getting one of those large tubs as a semi-permanent home. I may find homes for a couple of the koi but at least my goldfish (who are currently in a 100 gallon tank and another pond, which is being taken down soon) could have more space. Then I could just collapse it if we move and take it with us, and be able to take the fish, too.

My only concern would be that it would not be as deep as a pond, so I may have to find a heater or something in order to overwinter them because it does get down to freezing. So many things to think about!! :krazy:

I would suggest, if you are looking for 1,000 gallons or more, a above ground swimming pool. Some are made of the same things that the tanks you see on pontpetsusa but are hundreds of dollars less in price.

They guy at pondpets is a great guy, and his prices are generally some of the lowest (just thought I'd say that :) ).

Thanks, Scott! I dont know why I didnt think of the swimming pool. Thats a great idea! And they would probably have a bit more depth to them, as well. And I agree that the Pond Pets guy is awesome. I had so many (probably dumb, LOL) questions for him and he was so nice as to take the time to answer everything. :)

There are quite a few options if you are looking for temporary homes for your fish, Jen - some of them looking pretty nice, even if you decide to use them for a longer period of time.

I found some choices in setups at Aquatic Ecosystems. They have all kinds of things there, one of them even looks very similar to those inflatable pools that kids get during the summer. You know, the ones where the top of the pool is a ring that you inflate, and with raising water levels inside the pond the whole pond wall rises with it. There are plenty of other things available, so have fun browsing... :happydance

yeah, he is a good guy! One of the top notch people in the koi world. Certainly the pool will be deeper. I wish I had bookmarked the site I was looking at pools on last year. I was thinking of buying one but didn't, the prices were cheap and they looked to be well built.

Archived