About Snails?

Guest Bigphil

Guest Bigphil

I've just looked at post Re: Snails.

I never gave them much thought before.

Are they advantagious to fish and if so what do thay do?

Do they need any extra care or do you just put them in tank and leave hem to it!

I was quite suprised at how cute they can look. :D

I *believe* they can be helpful in cleaning waste and algae from the tank. I dont have any algae in my tank yet, but I just think they are sooo pretty! So when I do get algae they will have something extra to munch on. If there is no algae I think they will also eat veggies and algae wafers and other stuff. Im not completly sure yet I need to see. Im not sure if they will eat fish food from the bottom...I sure hope they do. I wonder if they like gel food? I have plenty of that!

Guest Chishower

They poo like crazy and eat just about anything. If you have a planted tank, get brigs because a cana or an insularum will eat your plants. My brigs eat everything from bloodworms, tubifex worms, and shrimp to zuchinni and cucumbers. Funny, the only thing in there that seems to like algea wafers are the goldies. :blink:

They are really pretty, though. I :heart my snails.

Edit: Forgot to add: They need a higher pH, and you can never go wrong with adding a little liquid calcium daily.

Yes, i ndeed they do poo like crazy :) but, if you looking at brigs, and are going to feed them veggies in addition to worms, etc, they like the veggies cooked a bit to soften them up... I think you'll have fun with em...I know i love all my lil guys :D

so they do poo alot? Do they produce a large amount of ammonia? In another thread I was asking about snails and if it was a bad idea to add them to the tank if I am all ready at the 10 gallon limit for my fish. Should I not add them? Also do you know how big they will get?

Are tubifex worms ok for them?

Veggies are no prob I just hope the snail can get it before the fish do!

If your at your stocking limit, I would not add them, unless you can keep VERY colse eye on your water params, esp in a 10 gal.

Brigs will get to be about golfball size max, while Canas will get to tennis ball size.....

Tubiflex is fine, my brigs enjoy them! :)

Archived