Help! Do Fantails Need A Filter?

Guest LauraSmith

Guest LauraSmith

Do they need to be in an aquarium or is a bowl or small (2.5 gallon) tank okay? I LOVE fishies! But I dont have the space for a big aquarium. Do they NEED a filter, or is that just a thing the pet store says to get you to spend $25 for the tank and set up for a $3 fish?

YES! Your little fancy is a pind fish. and he's going to be 8-12 inches long! :D so he needs a minimum of a 10 gallon tank and a filter for the said tank. otherwise he wont last long sadly... :(

but If you get him a nice tank and filter, he can live to be 30 years old! :)

Actually in order for that fish (a common) to grow that big they need 20 gals of water each. 10 gal are for fancy gf.

In order to keep your fish alive and doing well he needs to be in a tank with a filter. Are you familar with cycling a tank? I assume not, so you will need to read up on this, it is why you need a filter system.

Please take a look around, gf needs lots of care and good water in order for them to survive. If you have any other questions please ask that is why we are here.

Guest cshepard

Yes, since you found this site I'm sure you've been reading all the articles on the left hand side of the home page. There's alot to this hobby but it is all fun and interesting and no doubt you'll get hooked!

A bigger aquaium doesn't have to take up much space - top of a desk, or a sturdy cabinet, squeezed in amongst the sofa and laz-y-boy . . .

The more you learn the more your fish will benefit and theres nothing like a tank full of happy, healthy goldies. Good Luck and keep posting.

Laurie, aren't fantails fancy goldfish?

Laura, do you have the fish already? Petstores usually kow litle to none about goldfish. commons and comets are the ones that need ore space, and they have slim, long bodies and two tail fins that form a single tail. Fancy goldfish are the ones that are rounder and shorter, and have four fins on their tails making a "double tail". Goldfish are really neat fish and have the most personality! I hope you decide to stay with goldies and get them an apropriately sized tank. It really doesn't take up that much space. When you think about it, a fish tank is more than just taken up space. Its very good decoration, something your firends will love to look at, something YOU will love to look at, a habitat, and a lovely little slice of nature right in your home! Also, when you get a filter, its best to buy one that has will filter 10x the amount of gallons in the tank per hour. Ex: If you get a ten gallon tank, you want your filter to say "100gph" on the box some where. I've found the best place to buy tanks and set ups is definately the classifieds in the paper...some are kinda expensive, but they've always got some extremely cheap setups for 1/10th of the price new :)

Archived