Another Post On Green Water :p

gialeigh

Hey the other post about green water reminded me that I wanted to ask....how do you purposly create green water in a tank or pond? Is it the best conditions to keep fish in? Should it be bare bottom?

Direct sunlight will make your water green that is why ponds usually have green water.Putting your tank near a window with direct sunlight will also make your water green. :) I don't think it really matters if it's barebottom or not....

From what I've been reading, if you want to cultivate the green water, remove any filtration and let the ammonia get high. And like Coyote said, you need direct sunlight. Lots of it too. I've been reading up on this topic on the rafflesgoldfish website (www.rafflesgold.com) and that's how they all raise their fish. They're all breeders from Indonesia and they have sunny tropical weather all the time, which is perfect for GW cultivation. Unfortunately the lack of seasons in tropical climates shorten the fish's lifespan due to their metabolism running all year versus going dormant in the winter. The site is really interesting as these people know a lot about keeping fish as well as fish standards and quality. They are, however, quite intense...if you read a bunch of their posts, you'll see what I mean. But they're got quality fish!

yes I have been to there website but have not read anything about green water there yet. I do know what you mean by "intense". They are SERIOUS about their stuff there.

Try looking in their green water forum

http://www.rafflesgold.com/forums/index.php?act=SF&s=&f=5

i'm trying to grow green water but of all the days of a normal warm sunny hawaiian day, it's raining and has been for the past 2! I just put some syphoned out tank water in another tank and left it outside with an airstone. I think this should work as suggested. I'm a bit leary of sticking my smallest ranchu in the tank as I was reading on another post that it is not good to put the tanks in direct sunlight because of the temperature. Maybe it's because the glass magnifies the heat? And the people in indonesia probably keep their fish in tubs outside where only the surface gets heated. I don't know. Maybe I gotta invest in a tub to try this out with a fish.

Archived