Hair Algae?

tinkerbell

I had problems with hair algae growing on the leaves of my plants a while back....it really isn't a pretty sight and I was told it could affect plant growth.Mine was black and it really looks like hair :blink: Sorry,I know I'm not helping :D

Hiya tinks - here's a picture of hair algae

Hair_algae.jpg

Hair algae can be a bit of a bugger as it usually returns within hours after manually removing/scrubbing it from a tank. The biggest benefit of hair algae is that it's a great food source for fish although its rapid growth rate can make it extremely difficult to control. This would prolly be its most negative impact especially on other plants you may have as well as your fish. I believe it thrives on nitrates in excess of 10 ppm - which is when its growth rate is enhanced.

I suppose that's why i'll always have a bit of a problem with it in my tank - so each week i scrub off my logs and wipe down my plants... and 5 days later - voila! :blink: it's back :D

Tink, the hair algea that I had looked like greeny black strands of hair growing on the plants. It started near the water's surface and moved it's way down. I had to take my plastic plants and clean them well. I ended up soaking them in bleach because the algea kept coming back. (BUT MADE SURE I HAD GOT ALL THE BLEACH OFF). I just kept scrubbin the tank and keeping the water clean. It never grew on the glass... just my plants.

Archived