Really Bad Now

qtmonki01

pH 6.8-7.2

Alkanity 80-120

Hardness 120

NitrIte 0

NitrAte 20-40

Ammonia 0-.25 (sorry its between colours)

I noticed lack of appetite and a little bit of listness and I posted here. We thought it was because I was gone and did feeders for the food. Well its not that way now. Now he is exbiting same symtoms as the other fish did--and we all remember the epemadic of that--the parasite killing all but 2 fish. Is it back? How? The food? He's doing the arched behaviour now staying in the corner. Correction--he is mid floating arched by the filter. My hospital tank isn't set up so I can't quarntine. I swiped the bottom filter thing out of it and hooked it up to this tank with the 2 fish in it. Added rocks and did a 50% change of water with vaccuum. Before I did all of this, of course I changed 70% of my water! The weird red streak and bubbles are still in the fin. He's breathing rapidly. Eyes are very dull now. No reddness of gills. After he breathes by the filters for a few minutes, he will swim then go back to the same behaviour. This is what happened before the other fishes died. Is the stupid thing back? How can I save him? ***** and I took him to the vet last time and treated these 2 fish with meds and had an autospy done on the dead fish! So they both been treated. He didn't eat today other.

I have a personal grudge against tetracycline hydrochloride. In my opinion, from experience, it's one of those cases where the cure is worse than the illness.

TH is an antibiotic and prazi is a parasite medication so you have two different treatments there for two diffferent infections. I gather that you lost a number of fish regardless and only 2 survived, one of whom is now sick again. Did you current fish get sick with the others previously? Did he show signs of improvement/recovery with the previous treatments? In your opinion which treatment had the most success?

They were fine after the treatment as happy as can be. I did the meds first. It looks like it worked and it looks like the prazi worked too. I'm at total loss. But whatever it is is attacking the nervous system because he's exhibiting the arched back behaviour again. The breathing is slower now. He WILL NOT make it if we can't figure out what to do quick.

When he does swim out does he go in circles? Has his skin darkened toward the back end at all?

Boils appearing as well are a symptom along with the hunch back.

Go and search go0gle for whirling disease.

He looks septic. Not eating. Um Half floating in the tank. Barely breathing. Poo was white and stringy and ziggy awhile back. I asked about it before, and the stuff didn't work. I can't remember what tried. I think it was fasting then pees. No poo now. just ahh mid floating and barely breathing. He felt a little slimy. Gills are swollen. Not eating. When swimming only goes a few seconds then sinks. Not doing the swimming swimming now. Just moves a little bit to let me know he's fighting.

Salt is at .03%

Yesterday I did a 70% water change cuz we thought it was from the fish feeders at first.

He looked worse and since the hosptial tank isnt' set up, I can't isolate so I took the bottom filter that has the tubes with bubblies from that tank and put in this tank. I also added some rocks to keep the thing down. After I hooked that up, I did a 50% water change with gravel vac so it was cleaned.

I'm sorry too, Des. :(

I hope you can successsfully treat this little guy.

I suggest that in the future, try getting new fish at a much slower pace. 1 or 2 fish at a time, while following quarentine protocol saves a lot of time, energy and heartache in the long run.

Good luck ;)

Paul

And to think I thought I was being nice by buying them 2 algea eaters which also have died already. :( I told my mother about it too, and she even said that it was sad....here I tried to help the fish and I wound up hurting them. I don't know if I will buy fish for quite some time now. The comets were all rarely born in my living room of my former roommate's fish and we hatched them almost 4 years ago. And to have this happen hurts even more. I remember catching the little guys and putting them in the hatchery tank we had.

Archived