Unable To Quarantine. How To Introduce A New Fish?

Guest 2 lil fancies

Guest 2 lil fancies

Hi all.

My chocolate oranda died earlier this week from some nasty little bug that wiped out my betta too.

So i now have a poor lil telescope swimming round in 20g with no tank buddy :( *sniff*

(nemo was also affected by this bug (his fins are a little tatty, but he beat it :D )

I've made things really hard for myself coz i only want a choccie oranda but can't track one down lol!

Any way, my question...i have no facility to quarantine a new fish unfortunately, so he's gonna go straight in with nemo.

The tank is salted to 0.1%. What other precautions can i take?

Hope you have some ideas for me.

Thanks Trisha (buying the fish next weekend hopefully)

Guest 2 lil fancies

That's what i thought cheers.

So if i do the salt up a percent for the next couple of changes that should do it eh?

Then i take it i leave it like that for the would be quarantine period (3 weeks)

Then how do i get the salt out again?

Just changes with regular water?

Thanks tazzknight

Trisha

A seperate container would be better, just have to test daily and be prepared to do daily water changes if its not a large one.

Then how do i get the salt out again?

Just changes with regular water?

Yes water changes will remove it

Also just remember that when you do a waterchange during the 3 weeks of QT you need to replace what ever salt you took out.

I have to admit I think Im a bad fish mommy. I hate quarantining my fish. Everytime I got a new fish I would do it for a few days and they would look sooo miserable in there by themselves that I would just put them in the big tank with all the other fish.

The red oranda I got recently was wonderful at the pet store. Lively and healty...and the minute I put him in that Q-tank he just sunk to the bottom and tried to hide from me. 2 hours later he was still sitting at the bottom. I thought maybe it was just stressing him out too much to be alone like that so I put him in my big tank and wouldnt ya know he came right back to life.

Maybe I should try the mirror trick as another member had suggested so that he doesnt get "lonely". :P

Guest heyboova

where are you getting this fish?

I would definitely not skip the qt process,

look around at the pet store, if you see any fish that look sick then theres that possibility you are bringing that into your tank,

why not invest in a small tank,

you can get one at mmm for ten dollars.

personally i go with 20 gallons per fish anyway,

sure the tank may look a little bare, but your fish will thrive much easier,

and it will be less work for you to clean

Guest 2 lil fancies

Ah,

thanks for your input guys :)

will just have to keep an eye on them. As i said, quarantine isn't an option, no matter what size tank for a number of reasons including space, cash flow and a toddler.

I do know it's important and why, so i'm just gonna have to be extra vigilant. I'll salt up to 0.3 per cent and go from there.

Thanks again for all your advice...so much better than the rubbish the pet shops spout round here.

Trisha

Maybe it's just me, but I would get that tank very healthy before I ever thought about getting another fish!! Give that one fish time to heal and get that tank clear & clean.

That's just my opinion :blink:

Guest 2 lil fancies

Hi Jeana,

yeah i know. I'm keeping my eye's on it. There's been no further problems from nemo, and the water is spot on at the min. Just giving it another 10/15 days to check nemo has no further worries.

Don't worry, i wouldn't introduce a new fish if i thought there was any risk to it from the previous problem.

I think that if you are not going to be able quarantine, the least you can do is to some prevemptive work on the new fish. After you get him and acclimate him to your water - putting him in a bucket and taking out a scoop of the old water and putting in a scoop of the new water and repeating this for a few hours - you should at least do a salt dip to strip off any parasites that you can. (Dump all the water from the store - do not mix any into your tank!)

At 1/2 cup aquarium salt to 1 gallon of water for no more than 5 minutes, (See treatments - saltdip) you can strip the slime coat from the fish - a place where the majority of parasites reside.

I would then treat the entire tank to a medicated food for at least a week.

JMO. Better safe than sorry. I have NEVER had a fish come to me that did not harbor at least some sort of parasite, much less bacteria or virus that it may be immune to, but the new tank it is introduced into may or may not be. :blink:

Archived