What Do You Think I Have Lost My Fish From

puggirl

hi everyone, i have lost three fish now, water params, 0 ammonia 0 nitrite ph 7 so everything is great, tank be set up now about 5 weeks, i have a 179 gallon with 12 fish some tiny some up to 5 inch, i have two canister 1200, and two 60whisper filters, and i have a double airator, working on high,

water change 20% once a week.

now these fish have had the symptoms of redness on body and on fins near body like there fins near the tail, and they seem to get redness on body there as well, also two fish have become slimy so exsessive slime build up, and other fish loss of appetite, and some time flashing, now there is nothing else visable wrong with them appart from some redness on those areas, the two that have been slimy they have been both my black ranchus, so i'm desperate not to lose anymore fish, as i want to find out whats happening,

all i can think of is the weaker fish have not handled this cycle well, and they are finally dieing as they have been through about 4 cycles now, so if anyone has any ideas i would love to hear them thanks :)

If you're in Australia, like me - then our choices are limited. It could be another type of parasite although I have seen a big infestation of flukes in my friend's tank in Annandale - so they do exist.

You should be able to get Wardley's Para-ex which treats flukes and perhaps you may need to get some Science Products Broad Spectrum Antibiotics - they can work well in these cases.

Have you tried salting your tank to 0.3%? I'd start with this and if there's excessive slime coat, then salting will help.

You can also try some salt dips and a good way of doing this is by grabbing a well rinsed empty 1 litre icecream container with tank water and dissolving 3 teaspoons of salt - this is a 1.2% salt dip. Try dipping them for 10 minutes and see if this helps also.

Hopefully this will help some :)

Archived