My Blue Died Today

Barbra44

Well after a long struggle with "I don't know what" my poor blue oranda named BLUE died in the night. I feel so bad and tried so hard for him... but without result. He suffered a lot from swim bladder problems towards the end. Especially after he ate. He will always be remembered by his big fat cheeks. He will live on as my fish angel. :( I had blue for almost 2.5 years. He was about 8 inches long and definitely a ladies man.

RIP Blue

bluewithstars.jpg

Thanks all.

Blue died on his own in the night. I thought the big guy was going to pull through over the last couple weeks but did not. He ended up turning a darker colour.. almost black. Lost weight, his fins torn and his Wen looked like he was almost dehydrated. I gave him Medigold for a while and this helped him. His fins started healing and he was more settled at the bottom than at the top upside down.

It's probably for the better because BLUE was becoming more of a floater than a free swimming fish. I really felt sorry for him. And he appeared exhasted from trying to flip over all the time.

He was the first fish I ever owned....

On that note... A lesson learned. 2.5 years ago I purchased him and went into the goldfish hobby without knowledge of what I was doing. I just bought the fish and the starter tank and the SuperPet employee just told me about feeding and stuff. Never mentioned cycling the tank and such.

Anyway, I lesson well learned. Blue's swim bladder was most likely damaged during the cycling process. It wasn't until the tank was 3/4 cycled that I found Koko's and learned of my mistakes. I have since felt guilty about BLUE's floating episodes when he had them... it was my fault, but an innocent mistake.

I wish they had signs up at the stores about proper tank set up. :(

Barbra, don't feel bad, I definately don't think it was your fault. I'm actually of the opinion he a degenerative disease in one or more of his organs. Turning black is not a usual symptom of a bacterial disorder of the swimbladder.

I'm very sorry to hear that he didn't recover. He was a stunning fish. :(

:cry1 Ah Barb,I'm shocked to hear this.I didn't realize that Blue had been sick.He has always been one of my top"Most beautiful" fish on this forum.Between losing Jazzie Bleu last week,and now this,it's a sad day for me.Jazzie got stuck behind a plant,what a way to lose a fish,huh? Anyway,Hugs....I will truely miss his beautiful face. :heart

Gosh, what an adorable face Blue had! :heart I am so sorry he didn't make it after all, Barbra, but be assured, you did the best you could for him, and he had the best home he could have! :hug

Barbra I'm so sorry! :cry1 He was truly a beautiful fish and looks a whole lot like my Clovis (my "favorite" fish, even though we shouldn't have favs). You were great to him and he had a wonderful home, so please don't blame yourself. Unfortunatley, these things just happen. I know he will be missed and I hope you feel better soon. :grouphug

Archived