Not Much Filter Media

onefish3

My 29 gal has a filter that came with it as part of kit made by topfin. The only thing that goes in it though is a filter; there are no sponges (like in my whisper), no bio wheel, etc.

When I change the filter at the end of the month, am I going to be taking all my bio bugs with me? :huh:

If there is no sponge/media for bio bugs then yes, when you throw the filter out you will lose them. But, if you have gravel and plants then you may have enough bio bugs living there to hold your cycle. I would not do your partial water change or vaccuum the gravels the same day you change out your filter. Do that a few days after changing out the filter. Doing it all at once will crash your cycle. I think you'll be okay. You can always add a sponge filter to your tank, in addition to the filter you have, for some extra bio bugs.

I used to have a topfin filter. When it was time to change the filter, I squashed in the new filter with the old filter for a week to transfer the bio bugs. Then I removed the old filter.

However, I learned it wasn't such a great method, overall, and purchased an AquaClear filter.

Archived