New Fish Coming

onefish3

Hi folks,

I have a 29 gal that finally finished cycling this past monday. I cycled the tank with 6 danios and a golden apple snail about the size of a silver dollar. I now have two 4-5 inch ranchus coming and was wondering if the water parameters would spike. I have aquarium salt and a test kit all ready, but if they do spike, how long will it take for them to come back down? The same time as a regular cycle? :idont

Thanks in advance.

This one's a bit tough to answer.

It really depends on how much free surface area is available for microbes to grow in your filter.

If you've got a huge filter, then I'd expect a spike to be taken care of in about 2 days. This is based on my experience with a 29g and a huge cannister + internal power filter.

If your filtration is just about adequate, I have no prior experience, but I would hazard a guess that it might take 1 or 2 weeks. I think your current bio-load is tiny, compared to 2 big fat ranchus. (Danios are tiny little fish?) :)

Perhaps you could increase the bioload further with dead cocktail shrimps? Provided your filtration is up to it.

Slugger :)

The filter I have came with the tank and is made by topfin. (I actually have a post about it in the equipment section). And yeah, danios are tiny little fish. I got them because I'd read here that they were very hardy and could handle a tank cycle well. They just don't produce a whole heck of a lot of ammonia. Oh well, I was warned about this.

Guess I'll just have to test and salt for awhile. I was just hoping it wouldn't take that long for everything to go back to normal.

Thanks Slugger. If you have anymore suggestions, let me know.

Oh, I just thought of something...if I add one of my fantails ( he's only 2 inches from nose to end of tail, maybe) will that bring it along much better for the ranchus? They're being shipped, and I hate that they'll have to go through so many water changes when they've finally made it here.

Archived