Random Questions

Guest heyboova

Guest heyboova

I have a few questions about my tank,

I'm planning some new things for it

I have a 55 gallon with a penguin 350 biowheel filter,

Would another 350 be too much current for my goldies?

My goldies usually hang around the side without the filter,

so im not sure if they dont like it over there as much because of the filter current,

or because its boring, or maybe just because i use to feed them on that side.

I currently have almost a barebottom, i have river rocks and gravel on one side that i didnt take out yet, so i do know i need at least 550gph so the size down from the 350 would just that.

Also for the media baskets, what do you suggest.. Foam, ceramic wheels, or both?

last but not least,

i'm not really loving the look of a barebottom tank,

i have only a few river rocks spread around since too many would make the food get stuck where the goldies cant get it,

does anyone have any suggestions to make it nicer,

I couldnt find any larger sized gravel that would be good for a single layer,

I was thinking about taking the river rocks and gluing them together in piles and gluing some fake plants on them to make it seem more organized.

Hi,

I have an emporer 400 and a penguin 330 on my 55 gal. The goldies are not bothered by the current at all. A second filter would be needed on your 55 gal. Maybe someone else could help you with the rest of your questions.

Hope this helped you in any way. :)

There are lots of possibilities on filters for a 55 gallon tank. That Penguin 350 is one of my favorites - the baskets that hold the extra bio-media are awesome and you cannot find the like elsewhere. But.... An Emperor 400 (400gph) has filter type baskets that hold loads of biomedia (I have the ceramic cylindars all placed, standing upright in mine, so I can fit the maximum number with it closed - and it holds a lot!), the Emperor 280's are much shorter in length than the 350s and 400, but pump a whole lotta water and have all the biomedia places in them.For the size, they are a magnificent filter. If you wish to limit the number of HOB filters, you can add a cannister of your choise to the mix. I have an Eheim 2028 on my 56. It does an OK job of mechanical filtering, but a bang-up job of biological filtration. That tank has tow Emperor 280s and the Eheim on it, for it is a strange shaped bowfront tank. That is about 845 gph. Without it all, the tank is never crystal clear.

You can put anything you want in your media baskets. I like the ceramic rings for that is what I can get here. When I can find them, I like the bio-balls. I am not as fond of foam for it does not hold up as well and has a set life. I can boil out the ceramic and reuse them. I can split up the ceramic into two piles and trade cycle with different tanks easily that way.

AS far as current, Most of my goldies love it. But I always makes sure there is at least one place in the tank that has the current blocked by a decoration, a plant or by aiming the outlets differently. I aim the Eheim spray bar upwards, to hit the lid of the tank and drip down - eliminating the current from that one, yet reaping all the benefits of the filtration.

A bare bottom tank does not mean it must be totally bare. A large decoration, some plants (I use aquarium sealant to fasten 1/2 to 1 inch stones on the bottoms of them - it holds them down and makes them look good), a bubble bar tucked behind them and beautiful fish make for my favorite look in a tank. Try adding some larger, special stones. I went to a stone landscaping company and hand picked particular stones - red ones and pink quartz and spotted black ones and such - these sit around the tank. PErhaps you would like this idea. Your glued piles will work too. Just treat them like any ornament - you need to move them to clean under them for the food and debris will collect.

I bet you will design a very good looking tank! :)

Guest heyboova

i would love to get a nice canister filter,

but i am in school right now so my income is on the low side,

and the 350 biowheel is a great price. Also, it would be easier to switch media around if they were the same if i needed to.

how long do the ceramic rings last,

wouldn't boiling them kill at the bio bugs,

i was told you can just rinse out the foam and keep reusing them,

Dr foster and smiths has a million different kinds of filter media,

thats where im getting my stuff,

i wish there was something i could put at the bottom on the tank so the floor would be a different color

Yes, boiling the rings does kill everything in them. It sterilizes them. If you have a tank that is seriously compromised and you wish to start over, you can sterilize the ceramic and start fresh and clean. With a sponge, you cannot sterilize it well enough to save it for anothe use. You just toss it away and start a new one.

And yes - you can transfer sponges as you wish to transfer beneficial bactera from filter to filter. I just have found that the ceramic fits in more places than sponges do. JMO. :)

I do like Dr. Foster and SMith - I just do not mail order too much stuff. I guess I am rather old fashioned. I need to update my thinking! ;)

If you do not like the bare bottomed look of a tank, how about putting a colored cloth or plastic picture under the bottom? I have various things under my tanks - I have a piece of foamboard covered with fabric that has gravel type rocks printed on it. It is true that you do not see the picture unless you are looking more down at the tank than across - for the glass reflects - but is adds a color never the less, and looks neat when I am looking down. I have deep blue, brown, and other colors and patterns on the bottom of other tanks.

Otherwise - well placed stones and such will attract the eye and you may not notice the tank bottom much. Go for height in some places as well as the lower stones.

:)

Guest heyboova

i have thought of that,

but that seems more like when i move/ set up a new tank

i think im gonna use a combo of sponge and ceramic rings, thanks

Archived