Pond Is A Mess After The Hurricane!

Ruffledmumkin

After the hurricane, I have a lot of leaves in my pond. Due to no power, my pump wasn't running for about 4 days. I have gotten out what a can, but it took days for me to even be able to do that. Now my pond has leaf crumbs and is a tea color. It kind of smells too. What can I do about this. Is there something I can add to the water to fix this problem, but is not harmful to my snails, plants, and fish? I checked the ammonia (0), Nitrite (0), and Ph (7.0). So things seem to be ok, but I did notice one fish now has a white spot on his side. It doesn't look like ick. What could this be? Please help, I am worried about my pond! :( P

Hi Ruffy,

The brown color your seeing is from the leaves leaching, called tannins and worst case scenario, it softens the water. But like fish poo, the dead leaves are decaying and create nasty's into the ammonia ranges.

Sorry to hear you took some of the brunt of that darn hurricane! :(

Water changes, salt to 0.1% and Qt the one fish if you can. IMHO, I'd watch for any sign's of flashing etc... If you have a shop vac you can use it to do pond clean down. Slow to be sure, but they do the job. I'm sure they had some stress and the debris isn't going to help matters!

Might want to see if you can get the snails out and into fresh water also. If you do get the one fish caught, check it over and depending on where & what the white patch is we can go from there. Once you get a closer look at it then try to give me a bit more description, IE: is it fuzzy, cottony etc. is there a underlying sore etc. :)

Ok I'll try to be more detailed. :D

First there is no way of getting all the snails out, there are hundreds, maybe even thousands. Second, how do I do a 25% water change on a pond? Third, how do I know how much salt to add, since I don't know how many gallons it is? Fourth, how long will it take for my ammonia levels to rise? Fifth, I haven't seen any flashing, or unusual behavior. Last, the white spot looks almost like a white head. It is on his side, kind of where our waist would be. It looks like it is coming from under a scale. It does "not" look cottony, fuzzy, slimy, or have a sore under it. It is about the size of a pin head. I'm sure it isn't ick. He is the only one with this, and is still acting and eating the same.

Does this info help any?

Ouch! Siphon hose to some yard & plants. or use the pump to pump it out & down is what I do. Salt test kit and instead of adding by the pound, do it by the cup method, testing. Koizyme is the one you want to help keep things under control, but as for dissolving things, havn't heard of any fool proof thing. Technically speaking, the best way is vaccing it out, which incidentally will help with the water change. Relax, you've got some time to get the debris out and it is getting close to fall clean down time anyway! I would do 50% to 75% WC.

Pimple looking. I'd keep a eye on that, it could be a small cyst from getting up against something/injury or even a worm.... If it bursts, do a iodine swab.

I used the microbe lift last summer, its ok. Both are kinda spendy products. But the koizyme is going to deal with bad aero's too boot.... something we don't want getting hold and overtaking the good bio's.

Oh, Ruffy, here's a article Lee B wrote to help deal with just these kind of problems/emergency's too! :D Worth the read through......

http://www.koivetforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=17837

Its called Surviving the storm.

Thanks Tam. Where can I get some of that koizyme, and will it hurt my plants, or snails? Also I got a close look at the fish again today, and the spot is gone! I don't know what happen. Could it have been a cyst that just popped, and now is gone? How much water should I change at a time? One other thing you said it was clean down time because fall is coming. What does that mean, are there special things you are suppose to do in the fall? Oh, and I don't have a salt test kit, where do you get them, and are they expensive? Sorry for all the questions. :)

Hi Ruffy,

Any LFS that sells salt water fish or equipment should have the test kt, they are for both fresh & salt w.

Ponds should be cleaned down twice yearly... Spring & Fall and a complete WC done at least once yearly. I prefer doing it twice since I need to clean down and remove all the gunk.

What I do is move the fish (and any plants go to the creek or tubs) to the stock tank and transfer the pond filters over to keep them running & established, drain the pond completely between pump, wet/dry vac (shop vac) and scrub down anything that seems realy junky or remove leaves lodged in between stuff. Re-fill, let stand with filters running one day and put the fish back in. Should be done before the water temps get to 50*.

Then I take my stock tank down for the winter and sit the filter in the deep end of the pond so its ready to go come spring! Stop feeding at 50* or less, and take any waterfalls offline, winter can be the pita's here though. <_<

Like a AQ, not a total clean down, don't want to remove too much benificial's, but leaf buildup and other such stuff that can cause ammonia through winter when the bio bugs go down has got to go.

Spring is the new cycle in period, though you still have some bio bugs, some need to re-establish like cycling in and you need to keep a eye on things for a few weeks. :)

With fry in the pond this year, I won't do a complete job as I will leave some of the algae slime on the liner. But I will remove leaf, fir needles and any ucky build up of mulm in spots. I'll leave my nets up as long as possible to keep the worst of fall leaf out so there's minimal debris to cause problems through winter.

I'm not sure who all handles Koizyme, but the one source is:

http://www.pondrx.com/store/customer/home.php

I get some of my supplys & meds there. They seem cheapest on finnequel and oil of clove and do carry tricide neo also. For dimlin and prazi pro,some equipment and filters I go through Dr Foster & Smith....

Between the two though, best prices and cover allmost everything I need or use! :D

Thanks Tam! I'll get started on all this stuff. I have already been scooping out the gunk on the bottom. It stirs up a lot of tiny stuff, and makes the water look dirty for a couple hours. I also added some of that cotton stuff to my filter, so that I can get rid of some of the small stuff in the water. I guess I still have a lot to do, so I better get started. Thanks again for you help! :D

Hi Ruffy,

Careful stirring up the gunk.... same problem with stirring up the gravel in a AQ, you can release the nasty gases.....

Thats why I recomended a shop vac to do the job. :) They are a bit slow, as you have to empty freq. but they do make the job easier and you can do a WC to boot!

Boy would I love to have a real pond vac.....

Sorry it took me to get back with ya, but I'm running the hubby to Dr & he's having some probs. Monday its barium swallow and x-ray's. Might be a gastro prob there, but there's a chance it could also be cancerouse to boot, so things are a bit hectic here...... :(

Thanks for the tip Tam! :D

Sorry to hear your husband is having health problems. I've had to do the barium thing, and it didn't taste very good. :P I think I threw some of it up, I can't remember its been a while. If you don't mind me asking what kind of problems is your husband having? I hope he feels better soon.

Do you think a python could do the job? I just got my first one! :nana

It could I suppose. I don't have one so not sure how those work exactly. I clea my tanks with a magnum 350, but use the shop vac for the pond and stock tank.

Well, he's got a throat problem, kinda feels like he has a knot in his throat or blockage. They seem to think it may be related to his "heartburn" hes had badly, which in turn is acid reflux. I'm thinking it is personally also. But originally he thought ulcer as he had one before years back. I sort of doubt it was now..

That can nasty things with the throat to happen, but there's a chance of cancer as well, so untill tests,xrays etc we just don't know. They want a endoscopy done as well. :(

Wow, I'm sorry your husband is having health trouble. :hug I'll pray that it is just a small problem, and not something like cancer. Don't worry about the endoscopy, they aren't bad. I have had several, at the most you have a little sore throat, and a bloated belly from the air they pump in. I fell a sleep during mine. :zz I tell them to knock me out good. :D Let me know how it goes, and I'll keep y'all in my prayers.

The barium swallow and xray's came back negative except excess mucous, so endoscopy Monday morning to take a look. Its looking like his acid reflux and this "year round cold" he's griped about has clashed something terrible..... <_<

It looks like his throat is inflammed from the outside. :( Hopefully Monday will tell all.

So they are sure it isn't cancer? I hope so. I know it is rough when you don't know exactly what is making your husband feel bad. Don't worry, the endoscopy can give the Dr. a lot of info. They can tell so much from them, and they can tell you what they find right away . I hope it is something easily fixed. Is your husband going to be awake for it? If they say he is, you can request not to be. I always like to go to sleep, and then wake up and it is all over. I think there is more risk in being put fully asleep. Please keep me updated on how it goes. I'll be praying it goes smoothly, and it is a small thing they can fix. If you get too stressed out, I'm always here to listen. :)

Archived