Is A 75 Gal Too Small For Three Comets?

Sandman

I recently got a 75 gal for our three pet comets. While I was at a LFS to purchase a filter, one of the employees told me comets, especially Sarassa comets, need a minimum of 180 gallons. He also said that comets are pond fish and should NOT be housed in aquariums. He also said that they will quickly outgrow the 75 gallon tank. Is a 75 gal really too small?

146-4629_IMG.jpg

They will get up to 12 inches long. I think a 75 gallon would be fine for them, but I wouldnt add any more fish. I think they are thinking about koi and trying to relate it to comets. Koi get 3 or 4 feet. So I dont think it is fair to relate all pond fish.

It is my opinion that they dont know what they are talking about....like a lot of pet store employees unfortunatly.

Guest Chishower

I would keep an eye on them. If they seem comfortable, great. If they seem cramped and uncomfortable, though, you can always get something bigger.

Full grown I think that they will need between 30 - 40 gallons per fish. Just keep a close eye on the water parameters once they get big. They should be fine for now. Hope you have many years with them. They are beautiful. :wub:

I dunno, I would tend to agree with the LFS :(

Comets and such do look like they like to swim at speed. When they get fully grown, they'll be pretty big, so they would be better off in a pond...

My tuppence.

Slugger :)

I must confess I think I was mistaken:

http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_Di...cfm?pCatId=1041

or

http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_Di....cfm?pCatId=902

I am glad the pet store employee gave you the correct information. How wonderful. I take back my previous comment!!!!!

If it were me though...I think I would let them be in the 75 gallon, although apparently it is not really the right environment for them.

I must confess I think I was mistaken:

http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_Di...cfm?pCatId=1041

or

http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_Di....cfm?pCatId=902

I am glad the pet store employee gave you the correct information. How wonderful. I take back my previous comment!!!!!

If it were me though...I think I would let them be in the 75 gallon, although apparently it is not really the right environment for them.

388455[/snapback]

Oh my...and my brother has a commet in a 10 gallon? I just think they're over exagerating..I hope.

Because its 10 gallons per goldfish, and my brothers fish seems heathy and happy...never any problems and hes a year old.

Who knows. :unsure:

Also in the koi section, it says 1000 gallons each. Thats just insane...who has a pond that big? I thought it was 250 gallons each.

And it also says my pearlscale needs 70 gallons to itself, and my telescope 30.

I...don't belive this..? I've never seen happeir goldfish..and they're in a 35 gallons with other goldfish too.

Hmm.

yeah but actually I can kind of see their point now. They do get bigger than most fancy goldfish...14inches (possibly), and they are such fast swimmers....I think that they are right about this fish...like I said...I must admit I was mistaken...and I just hope my comets will be fine for another year until we get out of the army, get our own house, and build a pond! Either that or they will have to go.

And your right...if the other sections do say that (and I havent looked yet) then that is kind of crazy... I dunno. Im sticking by the 10 gallon rule for all double tailed fish...but I think single tailed fish need more room.

Why do pearlscares need 70 gallons while other fancies need only thirty (according to the site)?

Are they saying commets need 180 gallons each, or for a few of them? I hate when sites don't clarify and readers are left to guess..like a site says you need a fifteen gallon tak for a black neon tetra. Do they mean each one needs 15 gallons to themselves? That is insane. So readers think, "oh, well I have a 15 gallon tank, I'll just put fifty in there". I wish they would clarify.

I was planning on rescueing one or two feeder fish for a 30-40 gallon tub I have in my room. I guess this is out of the question? :(

Ummm guys? Before we all have a tizzy.... Lets keep in mind we set up our own "guide lines" for commons and fancy's....

isnt it 20 LONG gallons of water per fancy/shub? Honestly... long ago I had 4 commons in a 55, one was close to 16 inches, the others ranged between 7-12. and before that it was 3 commons and a fancy...

I know now it was to cramped, but Fred lived 12 years... not to shabby...

just some food for thought before we start haveing coranaries (sp?) over our tanks.

*breathes* I guess you're right magic. That site has high guidlines for every fish..maybe they want to push away customers that keep overcrowded tiny tanks or get them to realize goldfish aren't so simple to care for? It is just a guideline, just like many of ours. More room is always better for any fish, but I think they'll do fine with less than 180.

Perhaps the guy at the LFS was right after all - at least according to that website. I guess I should take back my earlier comment about trying to earn commi$$ion on the 180 gal... Although I can't imagine 180 gals per fish!!! Seems like a an awful lot me.

Yowsers! :blink:

Pushing aren't they? Why sell you a 40 gl tank when now we can push the goldie thing to max and sell the much bigger ones? *cough* From one extreme to another! Nice they want to advocate more room, but there's a limit both way's. <_< Bottom line being how many one wants to keep IMHO.

Certainly its advocated to give Pond Comets, Shebunkins and Sarrasa's 50 min - 100 gls ..... in a pond!

Good growth should be around the 14" bracket for these fish, while in pond they might, with the big 3: Good food,good water & good bloodlines, attain more. (This is keeping Bruce the Oranda in mind)

Now I can understand larger quarters for some fancy's even, Crown Pearls are supposed to be bigger then normal pearls. Forgot what I read they can attain size wise though....

yeah on that website it says they can get 14 inches like comets! Wow! Id like to see that! I assume they are talking about head to tail because I cant imagine the body alone of a goldfish being 14 inches.

Archived