Goldfish Poo And Moving To New Tank

siansy

Hi Hope someone can give me some advice,

I have two orandas that have lived with us for a year now.

Over the past few months they both seem to be continually pooing. I have looked on this site for any similar meassages but can't find any. The poo is black and thin and very long. Is this a case of over feeding. I tend to give them a pinch of flake food every day but I belive other members of the family feed them as well. We have decided to set up a chart by the tank to make sure only one of us feeds them every day.

Also we have bought a larger tank for them and was looking for some advise as to the best way to tranfer them the new tank is going in the same place as the old one so the water will have to be emptied.

Do I need to save as much as I can to keep the parameters correct?

Have teated water today and all is fine apart from the nitrates slightly high. Have comlpeted clean up and water change.

Thankyou for your replies

Sian

Hi Hope someone can give me some advice,

I have two orandas that have lived with us for a year now.

Over the past few months they both seem to be continually pooing. I have looked on this site for any similar meassages but can't find any. The poo is black and thin and very long. Is this a case of over feeding. I tend to give them a pinch of flake food every day but I belive other members of the family feed them as well. We have decided to set up a chart by the tank to make sure only one of us feeds them every day.

Also we have bought a larger tank for them and was looking for some advise as to the best way to tranfer them the new tank is going in the same place as the old one so the water will have to be emptied.

Do I need to save as much as I can to keep the parameters correct?

Have teated water today and all is fine apart from the nitrates slightly high. Have comlpeted clean up and water change.

Thankyou for your replies

Sian

Well, the weird poop could be caused by not eating right. I've heard that flakes are not a good type of food to feed your goldies. I use floating pellets, which seem to be a lot better than the old flakes I used to use. You should try switching foods for a while, and see if that helps.

About the moving to a new tank: you should move your current tank somewhere else so you don't have to empty it. Then, you must cycle your new tank...I haven't really had much experience with this, so you'll have to wait for someone else on that one... :huh:

I recently transferred my fish to a new, larger tank. I emptied the about half of the water from the existing tank into a larger rubbermaid container. I then carefully netted the fish and placed them in the rubbermaid container and added an airstone. I then emptied the remaining water from the old tank into the rubbermaid container. I setup the new tank and filled it about one third with fresh, treated water. I then allowed the temp to adjust to the same temp as the rubbermaid. At that point, I put about two thirds of the rubbermaid water into the new tank. I carefully netted the fish and placed them in the new tank and then put the remaining water from the rubbermaid into the new tank. Lastly, I topped off with fresh water. Also, I put the old filter on the new tank WITHOUT changing the media. This help preserve some of the bioligical filtration. It worked fine with minimal stress on the fish and after several tests, my tank remained fully cycled.

BTW, it is my understanding thay you should NEVER move a tank unless it is empty...

Try feeding them peas for a couple of days and see how they look. Just get frozen peas, defrost them, break the shells off and break up the insides so they can eat them.

As far as your tank goes, I would keep as much of the old tank water as possible and keep your old filter cartridges (that is where most of the biobugs are).

Good luck!!

EDIT: oh, is the food you are giving them black?? The poo should be the same color as whatever you are feeding them.

:exactly

moving a tank partially full could cause cracking or breaking of the seal...plus it's heavy...lol.

I did the same method that Sandman did when I moved my fish to another new tank. THats the easiest way to cycle a new tank

Thankyou all for your replies.

I have the floating pellets which I tried them with a while ago bout they seem to have troule eating them. the would just bounce them around the top so I went back to the flakes. I'll have another go with them.

Moving Tank- I shall get some large containers and tranfer them as advised I would not have attempted to move the tank with water in as I struggled with it when it was completely empty.

Should I leave the filter running and place in container with the fish?

Many Thanks

Sian

Hi thanks for the replies,

The food is flakes that are orange, red and yellowy. ( Aquarian Goldfish flake food)

Im sure their poo has always been blackish but only in the past few months have they been pooing continually.

They both seem visually healthy and happy. there have been no changes in their behaviour.

I am not feeding them today and shall give them some peas tommorow.

I'm a bit worried now about it being black!!

Any futher advise would be greatly apprieciated.

Many thanks

Sian

Now I am nervous. I came on here because my fish seemed to poo alot when I brought them home but I have yet to see my one remaining fish poo in the last week or so. I noticed a yellowish tint to the water but the lfs said it was probably tanins(sp) because I have removed the carbon from my filter. I have fed peas twice in the last week since I thought maybe constipation was an issue. Still nothing. The fish eats well and is always looking for more. I was slightly overfeeding when I first got the fish so I have been trying to be a little more conservative in my feeding until my tank is cycled. Any info would be great! :)

Hi everyone,

Update, fasted them for one day and they still continued pooing, black with what looked liked some air bubbles. Then fed them peas on day two as they were looking very cross with me every time I went near them which has been alot as I have been poo studying!!

Pablo seemed to have stopped pooing and finally dylan had a pea green poo. So I started to feel relieved but today (day three) Pablo is still pooing long and black but alot thinner and dylan back to the same black poo. They have only been fed pea s today.

I think I need to fast them again still it stops totally as I have read the advise on here and the rule seems to be at least two days. I am convinced this is an overfeeding and constipation problem.

They seem to be having fun with the peas.

Goldiemom,

When you were overfeeding and pooing alot did they have long trails? Also was it still the colour of the food they were eating?

Cheers

Sian

Hi,

Just checking on the filter when moving tanks, I was told by the aquarium from where i bought my fish to treat the filter as living and that within quite a short period the good bacteria can go bad if the filter is turned off so even when cleaning the tank I leave it running in some of the cycled water.

Is it safe for me to turn it off while transfering or should it be in cycled water somewhere?

I have a bubble wall so I will pop that in anyway.

Many thanks

Sian

Sian,

It is true that the filter must remain in cycled water or will die. I don't know how long you may leave it out of water. How long is it going to be sitting before being transferred to the new tank? I don't think it needs to be running I think if you were to put the media into a bucket of cycled water, that would suffice. I am far from an expert though.

Guest cshepard

The bacteria will stay alive for as long as it takes to switch the tanks, just make sure the filter remains wet. Also put all your old gravel and ornaments into the new tank, they are covered with bacteria and there's a good chance your new tank will be instantly cycled if you do all this. (but test every day anyway!)

Hi all,

Back to the poo watching, worried now. ( my son thinks im mad for wating their poo and taking it out with a net to inspect closer)

Am fasting them again today Pablo has stopped pooing but Dylan after having pea poo yeaterday had a trail of thin whitish poo read on here that tis couls indicate an infection. Help!! :krazy:

many thanks

Sian

Archived