First Time Fish Owner: My Fish Have White Spot

Peanuts

I recently (1 week ago) got 2 Fish and now I?ve discovered that they have White spot (I?ve read through a few of the other threads so i'm pretty sure it's white spot but the other threads only confused me) I only spotted the spots this morning and I rushed out and got some ?Aquarium Treatment #6 Anti white spot plus? by Interpet.

Now my fish are in a 19 litre tank (Its an Elite system 3 starter kit) if that helps with 2 plastic plants, a Stingray 1 filter and gravel. The fish are 1 Black moor and 1 Lion head. I spotted the white dots on the lion head first as it's covering his tail and then I noticed that the Moor also has dots on his tail and sides.

I guess I?m posting here for a bit more advice and help. One of my bro mates said that I should place the fish into a small bowl which has some of the white spot solution in it while I clean out the tank, but the instructions say that I shouldn?t use Tap water, It says that I should clean the plants and gravel with the tank water but isn?t that defeating the point of cleaning the plants and gravel? Using the same water I mean?

And is the solution that I bought the right type and will it help my fish get better? or make them worse? at the moment they seem fine, if only a little sluggish.

I?m feeding my fish a mix of ?Aquarian Goldfish flakes? and ?Aquarian floating pellets? plus the water conditioner that I use is ?Gold Tap safe? by Interpet.

I?m really worried about my fish I?ve not had any fish since I was really young and I?ve become really attached to them so if anyone can give me any help or advice I?m all ears.

Do the white spots look like little grains of salt? If so, it may be Ich... I would treat it with aquarium salt and keep the tank temperature close to 80 F.

Keep the water as clean as you can - do you have a testing kit? Can you post the results? Change the water extra frequently while they are still sick and just replace the salt that you changed out.

19 L tank, now, if I did my math right, that is 0.5 gallons??? That is actually too small for two goldfish. Its recommended that you have 10 gallons per goldfish.

19 litres is approximately equivalent to 5gallons. you should have at least 40 litres for one gf. nowhere near large enough for two goldies. You will be having to do very regular water changes (like 50% every second day) to keep the water anywhere near acceptible for your fish. Not much fun for you, or your pets.

If you are a noob, then Im assuming you don't know much about water conditions, I'd suggets you read a bit about nitrogen cycling, that is probably the most important thing you will need to learn at the start of keeping gf.

As for Ich (aka white-spot), you can try treating it with a solution that you got from the pet store, I'm guessing its a mix of malachite green/acriflavine/formalin? This is often used to control Ich, but sometime not that effective. Ich is really sensitive to salt so, first do a Big water change, up to about 80%, then dose your tank up to 0.3% salt over a couple of days ie 0.1% per day, then do a big water change after about 3 days . If you can heat your tank up to 20-22 degrees © this will increase the life cycle of the ich, only do this when actually treating the Ich!! (obviously)

For advanced stages of Ich, like when the fish becomes listless and floaty, I have successfully treated Ich with Triple Sulpha tabs, these should be commonly available from yr lfs and goldfish accept the treatment well.

Good luck, and don't loose heart! If you're up for the challenge and are ready for a steep learning curve, you'll find this one of the most exciting and fulfilling hobbies around! ;)

Hi ya, I really didn't know that the tank that i have is too small, the people at the pet shop and the makers of the tank all said that it would be sufficient to hold up to 4 fish. I feel like a really bad fish owner now. :crp

But my main concern is the white spots. I?ve added some of the solution to the water and my Lion head (who looked to be the worst infected) looks to be a lot better. The temp of my water is a constant 23 degrees C, and both fish don?t seem to be as sluggish as they did on the day that I fist posted. I?m going to do a water change today (80%) Clean the plants and filter and continue with the solution that I?ve got. I?ve bought some aquarium salt and a test kit, but what am I looking for when I?m testing the water? I know Ammonium is bad and so is a high or low PH reading. I?ll hunt down some info on Nitrogen cycling but like I stated above at the moment my main concern is the white spot.

Thanks for your info guys :D

i've stopped listening to pet store guys (except one or two guys i know well) after coming to koko's. have a look around the site and u'll find everything u need about GF keeping. good luck mate ;)

Welcome Peanuts. I am a newbie too and this site has taught me so much. When my fish showed signs of ich, the people here suggested using salt and I have to say it worked great. I think sometimes all the chemicals can be too much on the fish this early in the game and also messes with your tank cycle. (I lost two right off the bat). Get yourself a testing kit an watch your water quality. That is the most important thing you can do for your little fish at this point.

Oh, and when you are doing your water changes, make sure the water you are adding is the same temp as the tank, which isn't always room temp. I learned this lesson the hard way!!

Good luck and hope everything works out well for you!!

How's it going? Do they look better?

389792[/snapback]

Yes thank you they do. Their no longer sluggish and are now whizzing around the tank like mad men, turning up the gravel and conning me in to thinking their hungry every time i walk past or pop my head around the door to check on them.

The Lion head (Chris- Yes i know it's a funny name for a fish but he likes it :lol: ) has little red marks where the white spot used to be is that normal?

Alan (My BlackMoor) could have the same marks but his colouring makes it hard to see so i don't know if i should be worried about this or not. It doesn't seem to be upsetting him.

Thank you all for you kind words and all your help, and I what you all to rest assured that I do plan on getting my wet friends a new and larger home as soon as money allows. I've been looking at some of the wonderful pics you guys have of your fishes and I really hope that my boys grow as big, it?s quite an incentive really. :D

Hi Peanuts,

Now you've got a handle on the Ich, it's really important for your goldies to keep the water conditions perfect. This site has a whole heap of good suggestions on how to keep your water right, take an hour or so to browse around and find out how other people clean and cycle their tanks, it may surprise you! keep your eye on those red spots, they should fade, but if the water conditions aren't great they can get bacterial infections. Good luck.! :D

Hi Peanuts,

Now you've got a handle on the Ich, it's really important for your goldies to keep the water conditions perfect. This site has a whole heap of good suggestions on how to keep your water right, take an hour or so to browse around and find out how other people clean and cycle their tanks, it may surprise you! keep your eye on those red spots, they should fade, but if the water conditions aren't great they can get bacterial infections. Good luck.! :D

390510[/snapback]

Ok. And thank you.

I?m beginning to feel like I?m a paranoid first time mother. Worrying about everything from feeding them to if their having regular poos and everything in between.

But i'll definitely read up on water conditions

thanks

Archived