New Betta Too

Guest yabbie

I just bought this fish online. He is almost the same as another betta I got a while ago except my old betta (Kulap) has black streaks that have since turned into a glowing indigo. This one needs black streaks too... it's just a little too perfect...

RQS%2368LavenderBFCT.jpg

Well... funny you should mention that... he is coming with a lovely cambodian crowntail and a red crowntail with a black butterfly. That's about as close a match as I could get.

I already have two red girls who display partial crowning but I don't know what colour or finnage they'll throw (it's hard to tell when they have brown bodies) and they are so violent, I've named them the banger sisters. I have to separate them since the biggest banger sister has just poked her sister's eye. So much for sibling girls getting along!

If you go to bettatalk you can see there is a doubletail there with similar markings, called an Apache. I thought I might try to breed a new line along a similar vein using crowntails instead and keeping the black streaks and lavender sheen. Apaches don't look wild enough for me.

It just takes so long to find matching fish...

• 2 weeks later...

He finally got here! He's had a bit of a holiday in a hotel room on the Gold Coast and then a quick flight and a bit of a stay in a basement fishroom and... nevermind.

And there's four others!

And they're all gorgeous! Three gorgeous girls... a red double tail CT huge full fins, a cambodian red CT and a tiny purple marble CT girl, and a lanky purple marble CT male. The fish in the photo actually has a lot more lavender covering in person than showed up in the photo.

The red doubtail CT arrived full of eggs... but Kulap has blown a gill cover by being a nutcase show off, so I'm worried it might get nipped if I put them together immediately.

Mod? could you make the photo a link instead of a pic, since it's not my bandwidth. I can't edit the first post for some reason.

Awww... you mean I have to get out the camera and the lights then upload them to a host, and then figure out the links...

I've so many botched photos of Kulap... as soon as the preflash goes, he does something stupid, and I end up with a photo that can only be titled... "And that is what his tail looks like as he's swimming away..."

Okay, I'll try. The goldfish fry are looking like real fish now so I have a lot of fish to practice on.

Somewhere online, they say to use the video selection on the digi cams, watch it and pict the frames you want as picts.. so that way you get them while their cute and can delete all the royal butt cheek shots ;)

Ooh, he's really pretty. What's that site? www.betta-nustralis.com ? I tried that one and nothing shows up. I wanna look at some of the other ones.

Yeah, the Australis site is down, but it is fairly new and there aren't many photos there. Jodi-Lea is a private breeder and importer/exporter and she has a gallery of other fish that have passed thru her door here: Jodi-Lea - Aussie Bettas

Betta Australis is a kind of a club thing.

The fish I got were brought down from Asia to compete in a show in Queensland and the owners wanted to sell them rather than export them again. Mine didn't win any prizes.

These are the only fish left for sale from the show:

Show fish

Some really good breeders are David Je, Dong, Satorn, and Preecha Ammara, run any of those names thru go0gle with the word betta and you should see some really special bettas.

Or...

If you go here: Royal Show Pics - Queensland you can see all the fish in the show. Look at the Koi CT... very freaky.

Archived