Rehoused Fish

Guest supreme_presence

Guest supreme_presence

I have 5 fish in a 30L tank (2 telescopes, 1 moor, 2 Pearlscales). I know this is a problem and as already mentioned , when I move house in 6 weeks or so I will get a nice big aquarium.

Anyway one of my telescopes has been off colour. He sits in the corner with fins collapsed and only gets interested at meal time. My Nitrites are off the scale.

To help reduce them I have added salt, added a Nitra-Zorb and bought a 15L tank to put 2 of the fish in. I know this is still over crowded but I'm trying to releive pressure on the filter but cant set up a big tank until I move.

Anyway.. rather than put the ill fish with another in the new setup, I added the 2 pearlscales so everyone gets more of a chance at feeding time (Who said pearlscales are slow).

Anyway, my 2 pearlscales are now acting like they're 'Sulking' in the new tank, and dont come say hello anymore. I have a cheap filter in there, which runs off of my air line, I have orange gravel and nothing else. Are these fish just missing their old home with castles and plants? My new 'tank' also doesn't have a light, but it is near my taller 30L which does.

Hi SP - No, I don't think they're missing their old home.... fish have the capacity to thrive when their conditions are optimal - no matter what tank they're in. So it sounds as though they're off colour as their water quality isn't totally up to par.

When you say nitrites are off the scale, what are the readings?

As a suggestion, you could do a massive waterchange - say 50% and as their filtration isn't totally adequate, doing waterchanges regularly with temp and ph matched, dechlorinated water may help :)

Guest supreme_presence

Readings

Ph 7.8

Ammonia 0

Nitrites 4.0

Nitrates 40

This has not changed even with two 50% water changes and the addition of a Nitra-Zorb bag and Aquarium salt.

The card for Nitrites only goes to 4.0 So I guess it was right off the scale so a 50% change didn't remove enough nitrites to bring them down onto the scale so I can only read the level as 4.0 even if they are above this.

I set up the new aquarium with 20% of the 'bad' water and added dechlorinated water. The fish went in there as soon as the tempratures matched.

As for the other tank.. I did yet another 50% change last night and due to test this evening. I hope that with the reduced load on the filter, the 'Bio filter' will come in to effect soon.

The good news is that my white butterfly telescope seems more active already in the old tank, so thats a good sign at least I suppose.

Yes indeed, that is a good sign :)

Would you be able to test the nitrites out of your tap? It'd be interesting to see whether they are present in your water source - especially if you're doing 50% waterchanges with no reduction at all.

Also, the salt should help your guys but with nitrites at 4.0, this can oftimes be deadly to an already stressed fish - so again, let's see whether they are present in your tap water.

Please post back soon :)

Guest supreme_presence

I'll test tonight and post back on Monday when I'm at work.

On a non fish note.. I hope it's nicer weather down there than it is here in England.

I would give my right arm to visit Australia!

maybe when you do the water changes for the pearlscales, you can use some water from the old tank instead of tap water and yes, i'm interested int he results from the tap water...I hope they are get accomodated....

With the filter in the smaller tank, is it a brand new filter?

Archived