Dropsy I Think?

Guest Morten33

Guest Morten33

I have another post about one of my bubbleEyes Morton. He has been sucking air at the top of the tank a LOT lately. And just not acting normal, resting a lot too. Just now I went up to the tank and looked down at him and I noticed that some of his scales on the lower half of his body are raised up a bit. I got a hold of my other bubbleEye and took a close look to compare...just to make sure I wasn't seeing things. Morton scales are defantly raised up a bit. Not bad, you can barley notice, but they are. Is this Dropsy? I immediately started searching the site to see what to do for Dropsy and I kept reading about bloating. Morton isn't bloated, just raised scales. Below are the water perams. I am praying that someone can reply tonight. There is a Super Wallmart that is open 24x7 that i can get a water heater and hopefully what ever meds he may need. Please let me know what to do ASAP...he is my very favorite special fish. I love him, I can't lose him.

42 gal tank, set up for a couple months now, I cycled it with gravel and filter stuff from a 10gal tank that was running for 7months.

I do water changes every 6 to 7days. It is mostly a barebottem tank, and I clean out poop with a turkey baster daily. So the tank is very clean.

Nitrate - 30 **don't know how to lower this other than water changes? **

Nitrite - 0

Hardness - 150

Alkalinity - 175

PH - 7.5

Please respond tonight if you can!

Emily

Guest Morten33

I have another post about one of my bubbleEyes Morton. He has been sucking air at the top of the tank a LOT lately. And just not acting normal, resting a lot too. He is resting now up by the filter again. He stays there for long periods of time. his has one thin little red vein that i can see under his mouth going tward his belly. Just now I went up to the tank and looked down at him and I noticed that some of his scales on the lower half of his body are raised up a bit. I got a hold of my other bubbleEye and took a close look to compare...just to make sure I wasn't seeing things. Morton scales are defantly raised up a bit. Not bad, you can barley notice, but they are. Is this Dropsy? I immediately started searching the site to see what to do for Dropsy and I kept reading about bloating. Morton isn't bloated, just raised scales. Below are the water perams. I am praying that someone can reply tonight. There is a Super Wallmart that is open 24x7 that i can get a water heater and hopefully what ever meds he may need. Please let me know what to do ASAP...he is my very favorite special fish. I love him, I can't lose him.

42 gal tank, set up for a couple months now, I cycled it with gravel and filter stuff from a 10gal tank that was running for 7months.

I do water changes every 6 to 7days. It is mostly a barebottem tank, and I clean out poop with a turkey baster daily. So the tank is very clean.

Nitrate - 30 **don't know how to lower this other than water changes? **

Nitrite - 0

Hardness - 150

Alkalinity - 175

PH - 7.5

Please respond tonight if you can!

Emily

Guest Morten33

I just noticed some red streaks or something around the base of his right front fin. I don't know what this means or what to do. Please Please write back tonight if possible. I am so scared to go to sleep and wake up with him dead.

First of all--put him in the hospital tank if you have other fish in there.

Second of all A--

Second of all B--til we get more inform or Paul to look here try salting the tank with all natural sea salt (guess what, i can get that in waremart which is a mini winco so you more than likely can get it at nnnnnn hehe). Salt the tank to .03%. 1 TEAspoon of salt per gallon of water for 3 days

Third of all--Study him real closely and check the gills for the colour and his breathing. check his tail and fins for any cuts or tears or anything else.

Fourth of all--Answer as many more questions that is listened on the top of this page

and good luck!

Guest Morten33

Here are pics of the redness on his fin and the one streak under his mouth. His is gasping at the surface over and over or just floating in the live plants i have that are at the surface by the filter so they don't move.

RedFin.jpg

Mort1.jpg

Mort2.jpg

Guest Morten33

To answer more of the questions up top...

I have a whisper filter and a penguin filter

I feed ProGold sinking pellets that i soak first. And Peas every couple days.

I use AquaSafe water conditioner.

I added two new fish 2 and 1/2 weeks ago, an Oranda and a Black Moore. I gave the Oranda to my vet today because he was too fast for the others and sometimes tried to nibble on the bubbles of my bubbleEyes. The Black Moore kinda twitched around sometimes at first but not anymore.

I don't know what the Chloramine level of the tap water is?

I do the water changes every 5 to 7 days.

I just went and got MelaFix and added accordingly for a 42gal tank

I also got Parasite Clear made by Jungle. It is supposed to clear external and internal parasites.

I also added 4 teaspoons of sea salt to the tank.

Hi Morten,

Did you quarantine your new fish first? Otherwise, i'd suspect either a bacterial infection or parasites may have been introduced.

Are you able to get your hands on any medicated food?

I'd suspend the use of melafix - IMHO, it does diddly squat, just adds more chemicals that you don't need. See how you go with the PC but if you can, try to get some bacterial food like Metromeds - it's especially good if he's displaying symptoms of dropsy.

If the swelling doesn't go down and in fact, gets worse, you may need to try and get some Maracyn and just dose him with this and metromeds....

Hopefully it's not dropsy but keep a close eye on the raised scales - it'll be a case of trying to identify whether or not it's the initial stages of dropsy or some kind of parasite.

Morton sorry I didn't see this last night.

If he is acting normal I would say that it is probably something other than dropsy. With Dropsy the fish are very sick.

Raised scales can be from extreme bloating to parasites. Has he been flashing or scratching on anything?

Raising the temp when a fish is sick is always a good idea, it boosts thru immune system. But you have to be cautious with a fish gulping air that there is enough oxygen so he or she isn't doing it more.

Next water changes are the only way to lower nitrates effectivly. Live plants help to a small degree but water changes are still the #1 way to do it.

I didn't see your results for ammonia, do you have them?

Finally the red around the fins can be a symptom of a bacterial infection. You may want to start him on a medicated food, such as Metromed or medigold from goldfish connection.

Guest Morten33

He is not acting right at all. Do pet stores sell the medicated food. I am going to call the one I go to right now. I will do a 30% wateer change in a few mintues. Is there anything else i can do. I'm in tears at this point because I feel like he's going to die and I won't be able to save him. I feel stupid, but I'm so attached to this fish, and i guess I'm PMSing too or something. Tell me what else i can do? I will go get a heater too, what should i rase the temp to? Oh, and the ammonia level is 0.

Guest Morten33

And I turned the bubble wond on yesterday and i've left it on until just now. He is kind of sluggesh and the bubble wond creates a lot of current. But if i need to keep it on let me know?

Guest Morten33

These are pics I took last night. I also posted this on the Emergancy forum last night to see if i could get someone to respond. I'm sorry for posting both places, but couldn't fall asleep i had to keep trying.

RedFin.jpg

Mort1.jpg

Mort2.jpg

Guest Morten33

Sorry i forgot i already posted the pics.

This is what i have, Ultra Cure BX made by gel.tek, it is supposed to treat internal & external bacterial infections. have you heard of that?

Guest Morten33

No I didn't quarantine the new fish when i got them. the only medicated food i have is ultra cure BX by Gel.Tek, it's for internal and external bacterial infections.

Guest Morten33

The black Moor just tried to eat Morton front fin the one that it red at the base. He sucked the whole thing into his mouth and Morton didn't do anything about it, just sat there and let him do it. I have two about a 2gal plastic tubs, I put water from the tank into one of them and then put Morton in it. I put some of the live plants that float in there with him. And I got the light from the old 10gal i have and put it over it to help warm up the water a bit.

Keep the suggestions coming if anyone has them please.

Emily

Guest Morten33

The black Moor just tried to eat Morton front fin the one that it red at the base. He sucked the whole thing into his mouth and Morton didn't do anything about it, just sat there and let him do it. I have two about a 2gal plastic tubs, I put water from the tank into one of them and then put Morton in it. I put some of the live plants that float in there with him. And I got the light from the old 10gal i have and put it over it to help warm up the water a bit.

Keep the suggestions coming if anyone has them please.

Emily

Guest Morten33

How do i keep the hospital tank oxygenated?

Sorry for all the posts, on this. It is just so hard to wait for a reply for each one before posting again.

Emily

Guest Morten33

I wish someone would respond to this faster. Morton is just sitting in the hospital tank i put him in, not moving around slowly opening and closeing his mouth under the surface.l PLEASE someoen tell me if there is anything elese i can do.

Guest cshepard

Put a bubble stone in there with an air pump. Also get a simple sponge filter or an HOB filter for the plasitc tub if you can. Add some gravel and filter media from your main tank to get it cycled.

Do what JenW said about the Medications, in the meantime read up on all the Goldfish health articles you can to try and determine what's wrong with the fish. Here's a good link:

Goldfishinfo.com

Morton33

Cshephard has given you a really good link to help you identify what your fish might have. The first and most inportant thing is to correctly identify what is wrong. You wouldn't want to medicate for the wrong thing and make matters worse.

It's really a scary thing when these little guys are sick. I have a tendancy to panic when one of mine are sick, and will check the board almost every 5 mins. I am currently dealing with full blown dropsy and doing the best I can with it. I am no expert on this, it is my first time with dropsy. I will say that there IS an execellant thread that was started by LaurieP. Since I have yet to figure out how to set up a link, I can't give that to you, but I can tell you it is a pinned thread. You can find it under Disease Diagnosis/Treatment and under the Treatment section. You should be able to see a red water droplet next to it. This thread should help you if you are in fact dealing with dropsy.

I understand how you are feeling and I'm sorry I can't be of more help to you but I wouldn't want to tell you the wrong thing. Surley someone who is more knowledgeable will be along soon to help you.

I wish you luck with your bubble eye.

Guest heyboova

i would go get a cheap pump and airstone,

if you are going to be medicating it is important to keep the oxygen levels high,

Melafix works great with open sores, so that may help with his fin,

medigold and metromeds from www.goldfishconnection.com work wonders on sick fish as well. If i was home i would offer to send you some, but i would suggest getting some.

if he isnt bloated i dont think it could be dropsy, although i am no expert.

if he does start to get bloated you can use some epsom salt to help relieve the bloating, 1/4 teaspon for 10 gallons. If it does turn into dropsy dont add aquarium salt as that helps fish retain fluids and will make his symptoms worse.

Guest Morten33

Thank you all for your help. I still don't know for sure if he has a parasite or a bacteria infection or both. I checked out that site and he has symptoms for both. I am treating for both.

Morten - are you in the states? If so, you may need to quickly try and get some Metromeds. Also is there any chance of a pic of the raised scales? Is it an all over pinecone?

If it is dropsy, then I would read Laurie's post, it helped me when my fish was displaying symptoms of dropsy. Meds here in Australia are different so I had to improvise but if you're in the states, then Maracyn I & II in conjunction with Metromeds seems to help.

The way you can usually tell if it's parasites is by raised, red spots; spitting out food; tattered, pale gills - just to name a few.

Are you able to see what colour his gills are?

How does his poop look?

Archived