Got A Sweet Deal On A Big Ol' Tank

toothless

So a good friend of mine likes to "dabble" in fishkeeping right? Well, he did good with cichlids for a few years in a 40 gallon tank. then, he sold the 40 and bought a 130. When he bought the 130, I gave him all of my old whispers to run his UGF's. Anyway, he recently decided to call it quits and is going to sell it to me for 50 bucks. :D

Did I mention that it has its own stand? I haven't seen the stand yet, but I am hoping that I can fit my 55 gallon underneath it. If not, and if the stand isnt all that good, I will make my own stand

So, here I am sitting beside myself with glee, awe and even nervousness. Big tanks freak me out a little. :o I mean, ALL that water being held back by a seemingly thin sheet of glass. This thing is 60"x18"x28"!!! It just gives me the willies to think about some catastrophic break with water pouring out. Call me silly...........

Now I have to start thinking about filtration for this monster. I have no idea what I'm going to do but its probably going to cost me big time. Unless, I can get on the ball and find two more penguin 330's somewhere (my favorite filters of all time). Since they quit making them, they're super hard to find. Anyway, that would put me at four 330's for a grand total of 1,320GPH. That would bring me right to the threshold I need to keep the water good and clean. Besides, this tank is only going to be for my comet, shubunkin and maybe one more single tailed fish along with some Dojos. This will be my "indoor pond".

Then, my 55 gallon is going to be dedicated to a maximum of 3 fancy goldies, Spud (in my avatar) will be one of the lucky 3. The other two have yet to be found. I still want a ranchu or lionhead with a nice round back. A nice calico fantail would be nice to top it off......

So much to do, so little time! :rolleyes:

Wow Congrats on that!! ((trying not to show that green envy))!!

How do you make your stands? You are the best diy'er (oops there's that green envy again!!)

Heh, I just have a knack for mechanical engineering.... ;)

For a tank this big, I would build the stand as if I were building a house:

Four walls, 4x4 posts for each corner, studs 24 inches on center,1/2 inch plywood with a possible veneer and a header across the front where the cabinet doors would be. Simple and as strong as it can get.....

wow! did I read that right? 130gals for 50 bucks???

OOOHHHHH lucky you! Thats awsome :)

Spud (he looks so cute) is gonna love being one in three in 55 gal :)

I am curently on the hunt for 2 new tanks

I want min 40 gal each tank

one for a tropical set up..for the gourami I rescued last night

and another 40 for more goldies

Post some pics when you get..id love to see a tank that big.

If images of house-floods just are too psychologically taxing for you, I'd be happy to help you out by giving the tank a good home...

Honestly, though, I sometimes have similar images with my lil' 29 gallon. But then I occasionally have images of the ceiling fan crashing down on me and all sorts of other unlikely stuff.

<she replies trying to picture you giggling like a schoolgirl  >

When I first read the topic, that line had me LOL trying to picture Paul in this state of mind! :rofl

But seriously, I can understand why! What a great deal! And come on....you know you can handle it! :D It would be great for ya if the stand is also what you want, but if not, you're in construction right? :lol: Your description of building it reminds me of when my hubby makes something for me (he built my stand btw)...it will be standing LONG after all of us are gone! I tease him about it, but hey it's done right. Good luck on the filters, it will be costly so it's a good thing your tank was so cheap.

:please post pics when you get it set up for all of us with huge tank envy! :lol:

That is SO COOL! WOW! I am thriilled for you! :D

I shall keep my eyes open for spare 330's floating around here in garage sales and such. There has to be something!

I have seen a few in our stores still available. I was looking at one the other day wondering if I should get it for a backup - 'cause I love that particular model, too.

Those baskets are awesome!

With this tank set up, do you still have room for a couch or a bed? Or have you decided to stop sleeping? ;)

Carol,

Well, thanks to modern chemistry, sleep is now optional. Sooooo, I guess I have toss the bed...... :o:rofl

Kortinee,

I am a worrier by nature. If I am riding in a car with someone whom I don't know to well, I constantly, think of different scenarios in wich we could crash. The way I figure it, if I think about it, it wont happen. Kinda like the antithesis of psychic ability..... :blink:

Thanks guys. Ill post pics of it with the stand as soon as I have it her in my house.....

Paul

Actually, that is not all bad, Toothy. One of the training techniques that is taught in some of the more ......well, elite jobs I have done, is to be aware like that. The training makes you analyse all the possible senerios of how things could occur and then you make plans on how to avoid or control the issues. It works with hard factors (tanks, cars, firearms, sightlines, etc.) as well as soft targets (people and animals).

This is called the best of planning ahead and controling all the variables......

It is commendable.

I am forever calculating risk, possibilties, exits, potential failures, etc, and taking steps to make sure that they do not happen or that I am not in a place where it happens to me.

Good on you.

:D

Thats me to the "T".

I am always trying to examine variables in most situations. It takes a lot of "immediate" foresight when you are putting yourself into precarious situations. Being a surfer, skater and framer are three, potentialy, VERY dangerous activities.

I am constantly assessing risks..... and then taking them. ;)

oh what luck you have! And your goldfish will be very lucky too! I can't wait to see pictures! and by the way Kortniee I did have a ceiling fan almost land on me at my grandmother's house when my cousin's and I were like 12 and were all sleeping in the living room on the floor but it was an old farm house

Awesome news....

How I would looove a big tank.

You have GOT to go marine with that tank size!!

I've just taken delivery of my books from Amazon, and one of them is: The Conscientious Marine Aquarist.

After proper research and planning, I'm gonna start a marine tank by the end of the year :)

Speaking of risk taking, I've just finished reading "Fooled by Randomness", pretty interesting.

Slugger :)

Uh oh... well, my ceiling fan appears to be well-installed. And well-balanced, too, which I would imagine helps a lot.

Any news on the tank, Toothy? When do we get to see it? Found any 330s laying around? :D

I trucked on back tot eh store that had the older version of the 33o filter and they were all gone! :blink:

Is the company pulling them from the shelves? There were 3 there one day and none the next!

:(

:D Hey Paul,Congrats on the new tank! I'm with you though,I can't get past the weight.It's funny though-I passed up a 125 gal. because of that,and yet i have a 75gal/4 30 gals./20's/tens,etc...etc..etc... I guess even though the weight of all of them surpasses probably what the 125 gal. would be,somehow I feel more comforted! :rofl That would be a GREAT tank to run as a "River Tank",which is my next project.Powerheads,Pleco's and Hillstream Loaches,etc,btu I know that Lurch is going to love it!

Yeah, since the tetrahymena in his tank seems to be annoying at best, I am going to bucket to bucket, parasite clear and salt dip them into the new tank. All in all, its going to take about a week of treatments and bucket changes before they go into it. By that time, I will have filtration set and cycling with bio-spira.

I do not plan on bringing ANY nasties into this tank. For if I do, treating it will take quite a small fortune..... :unsure:

Archived