I Need Opinions....

smack536

IM ordering my UV filter for my new tank from www.petsolutions.com, since its cheaper then big als, but pet solutions doesnt sell the eheim pumps, which is what I'm using now.... of the ones for sale on pet solutions, which one would work the best for me for the UV set up? http://www.petsolutions.com/Water+Pumps-C-49-C-.aspx theres the page of water pumps they sell.... :listen: thanks guys!

Hi Christi :)

Well, if you are planning on running the UV at the flow rate that kills everything that goes through it, you need a pump that is going to push somewhere around 100-150gph. Then, you would still need the ball valve (flow valve), to slow the flow down to the correct GPH.

ALL of the in-line pumps at the site you linked are overkill. The slowest ones push something like 400gph and up. Lemme do a little research and see if I can find a source for a UV and a proper sized pump that will be comparably priced.....

Paul

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/Product/Prod...4+113778+113565

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod...C&N=2004+113041

I found both at DR fosters and smith for dirt cheap. Anyway, the eheim pump 1250 is the smallest they have. That pump, with 3 vertical feet of 1/2 inch hose above it, will pump about 150gph Add a ball-valve to the line and you can cut that in half for the optimal flow rate needed for the coralife 9watt.

Ill keep looking....

wow....so I would only need hte 9 watt one? I have the 9 watt one for my 40 gallon...i thought I would need the next size for a 75 gallon.... :blink: hey... $69 im not complaning! Anyways....that pump, the one im using now, is SO much smaller! I think I only paid $33 for it......

anyways.....I went to a couple hardware stores and stuff...still cant find hte stupid ball valves...and no one takes me seriously....I tried taking Dad with me,but he got impatient and we left.... :(

think im gonna have to bust out the business suit and go on down to home depot...maybe then theyll take me seriously!

Hi,

I don't think the website figures for flow rates are for parasite elimination.

The manual for my 18w coralife uv says 110gph max for parasites. That would mean the 9w model would need to go down to 55gph flow rate.

Does anyone have info on the required flow rate for a given tank size? Sort of like the 10x filtration rule?

I'm off to do some reading.

Slugger :)

Oh, I didnt know it was for a large tank. Then yes, you would need the next size up.

Nope, the flow rates suggested on the websites are generally for removing bacteria. Alage would still be controlled somewhat at the flow rates for bacteria. For max algae removal, it should be set slower than the max flow rates. They come with charts for all that as well.

For a UV to be considered effective at killing everything in the tankwater column, it is recommended to have the UV circulate the water at least one time an hour. The more times it circulates, the better.

You might be hard pressed to find flowvalves for the size tubing you need. It would be best to try a fish shop that specializes in salt water tanks along with freshwater. They are sure to have the ball valve you are needing.....

Paul

ooh...fish shops! there IS a good salty fish shop near my school...never thought about going there!

So...I get the 18 watt UV....what size pump?

i feel realy annoying asking so many questions...but i dont wanna spend this much money and get the wrong thing....im not rollin in cash here :unsure:

thanks guys :)

The 1250: 320 gph with a max head of 6.5 feet

Basically, this pump pushes 320 gph, unimpeded by head pressure and it has a maximum delivery head of 6.5 feet.

So, lets say you mount the UV and pump under your tank. This would add about 3-4 feet of head pressure to the pump since there will be 3-4 feet of hose above it. 3.25 feet is exactly half of what the pump can push above itself. So 3.25 feet would put the pump at 50% of its ability. 50% of the maximum flow rate is about 150gph.

Setting the 1250 up underneath your aquarium with 3 feet of hose above it would make the pump only push around 150 gph. Now all you have to do is turn down the flowrate a little bit with a ballvalve.

But, this is ALL assuming that the listed flow rate is unimpeded flow. Sometimes companies will add in 3 feet of head pressure to the listed flow. Assumingly to help in picking out pumps that are to run in-line, wich usually entails a 3 foot gap between the pump and the surface of the aquarium. I know eheim does this for its canister filters, but I'm not sure abot the in-line hobby pumps. E-maling them will reap you a reply, theyre good about that......

Testing GPH from the returns is pretty tedious when you have to do it with a bucket, stopwatch and calculator. There are flowmeters available that you can put over the end of the return to test flow rate automatically. This makes life MUCH easier but will also cost you some cash.

Heres a link to one made by TOM: http://www.aquaworld.ca/item299.htm

Unfortunately either I am not using the right keywords, or these kind of gadjets are hard to come by..... :)

I was thinking...

If you are going to run a pump to drive the uv, why not drive another filter as well. My reasoning is that most pumps will be over powered for the uv alone, and you'll need a pre-filter anyway to stop your uv glass from getting too dirty.

Slugger :)

ahhhh!!!! Im so confused now!!!! I feel so dense.... all that that you put there, toothy, is totally lost me! Should I just pay the bit of extra money and get the next size up pump from big als? the next bigger ehiem then what i have now? would that be the easiest route?

and also, toothy, If I sent you the money for the supplies, could you put together another intake and return thingie for it?

Hah! Thats all good. No worries. ;)

Yeah, go ahead and get the 1048. I know for a fact that the barbed outlets are BOTH 1/2 inch and are not different like the 1046. So, hoses will be easy to hook up.... ;)

As for my DIY intake/return, to buy all the stuff and shipping and all that, you could have a proffessional intake and return. Of course, most intakes are designed to go all the way down to the bottom. Are you looking for something like what I made you, something that sits just inside of the tank?

Here is an excellent intake at bigals by eheim. Its a little pricey but you can shorten it and it even comes with suction cups to keep it stable: http://www.bigalsonline.com/catalog/produc...id1=1971;pcid2=

If you really want another set of my intake and returns, I can have a look-see at what its going to cost for all the little plumbing pieces. I got all the stuff at a store closing sale so they were dirt cheap then. Hopefully, now that the store is re-opened at another larger location, they'll have all the pieces in grey......

Paul

Archived