Oranda Lumps, Lethargic, Etc..

Guest ~Rain~

I don't know my levels, I will see if I can get up to work to get them tested...I should be back in like an hour with them and I will post them up.

Tank: 20 gal long been running for over a month. Water changes/GV 1 time a week at least, I rinse my filters when I change the h2o also. I add Aqua Safe before in the new water and let it sit for awhile b4 I put it in the tank

Filtration: penguin 125

Fish: 2 Orandas and 1 pleco.

Food: Wardly-Total Spectramax flakes (I prewet b4 I feed 2x a day)

Symptoms and Behavior: Dottie has a very small wen and when I looked at her last night I noticed it was bigger and I got all excited. I took a closer look and it seems that it is red and swollen like a lump in one area and everything else is the same as it was before. She has been sitting at the bottom of the tank and sometimes in a cluster of plants at the top. When you walk over to her she gets really excited and swims around but then you leave and she goes back to floating. This morning I noticed my other Oranda sucking on her...uh..ahem...'place' ya know? She seems to be swollen there also. I have no I idea what is going on with her :cry1 I hope someone has ideas and can give me some suggestions.

I am leaving right now to go to the LFS and test my h2o I will post as soon as I get back. Thanks

My levels from my tank are:

PH:7.2

Nitrite and Nitrate: very high like dark purple.

Chlorine and Chloramine: 0

Ammonia: 0

Alkaline: 20-40

Hardness: 150

Levels out of the tap:

Everything is low except for PH which shows up as like 8.2

Since my Nitrates and Nitrites are so high I'm going to go ahead and do at least a 20% water change and add some salt.

Rain what are the numbers on the nitrites and nitrates? This is important.

If it is as bad as you say 20% probably won't help much. More like 50% to 75% will need to be changed.

Post back once you have changed the water and let us know. You can change water doing 50% until you get the nitrites and nitrates down.

Are you familar with where they need to be?

I did a 50% change and added some salt. Today I did another water change.

My N's were at 80 or there abouts. I use Test strips to test my water I don't like the liquid testers.

Yes I am familliar with where levels are supposed to be, I work at a LFS. Lol it's weird cuz if a customer somes in with a question I can rattle off how to fix it in a sec. but when it comes down to my tank I keep asking my self if I forgot something.

High nitrites can cause symptoms like you describe in your fish, but the good thing is that they can recover from it.

One thing to remember, is that sometimes it takes a while for a fish to come back to normal from high nitrites. I once had a fish that had swimming difficulties for a couple of months, but eventually recovered and was normal again.

Good advice from Laurie about doing the larger water changes.

I would continue to test the water and when the nitrites rise to an unacceptable level, I would do a large water change, plus re-add the salt that you have removed.

The dosage of salt for nitrite is 0.15%, which is 1.5 TEASPOONS per gallon.

If your tank is only a month old, it is probably just going through the normal cycling process. It shouldn't take too long for the tank to be cycled and the nitrite levels should drop to 0 and stay there.

Please keep me posted and if you have any questions or problems, don't hesitate to ask :)

I did another water change, rinsed my filters, and added salt. I have found something new on Dottie (the oranda having the problem) she has red streaks in her wen where the lump use to be. What is that? The lump is gone now or reduced in size but now there are red streaks. Any ideas? :crp

Was the lump on the wen a whitish ball of fluff? If so, that often happens in fish with headgrowth. It usually occurs when the wen is growing, and it doesn't usually result in problems.

I would continue on with what you are doing; keeping the water top notch and re-add the salt that you remove during water changes. Keep an eye on the redness in the wen. It should go away in a few days.

If it doesn't you could swab the area with a bit of hydrogen peroxide (3%) on a q-tip. Just be careful not to get any in the gills, eyes or mouth.

Archived