Kanaplex

lcwinne

My lfs is recommending Kanaplex and/with Focus for dropsy.

Has anyone here had any experience with it?

Here is their webs site and the medication description

https://www.shop.trilbytropicals.com/catego...g?categoryId=16

https://www.shop.trilbytropicals.com/displa...3&categoryId=16

https://www.shop.trilbytropicals.com/displa...8&categoryId=16

Chamel seems to be getting worse.

Guest heyboova

i have never tried that,

but dropsy is extremely serious and most often fatal,

I would try that,

but also order some metromeds from www.golfishconnection.com,

have you put epsom salt in the tank? that may relieve some bloating,

thanks for answering heyboova,

Not yet. When I first inquired about the Epson salt she hadn't started to pinecone. Her tank is presently at 0.3% with aquarium salt. She is in a 10g QT. How much do I use? Is it a "bath"? I thought I read something about getting the fish to ingest it.... did I misinterpret this?

I had started her on Medi-Gold till I received the MetroMed. The Metro-Med didn't seem to help and states it's for "internal parasites and symptoms of dropsy." She is well past just the symptoms stage, she now has full blown dropsy. The Kanaplex and Force is for bacterial. I figure if it isn't a parasite that is causing her problem then maybe it is something more bacterial and better to treat for that.

Of course my lfs had never had or used Metro-Med and recommended the Kanaplex with the Force. (both links above). And I do know about trusting the word of our local stores, but they seem pretty reputible(sp?) and only deal with fish. (I hope that's not my mistake).

thanks for answering heyboova,

Not yet.  When I first inquired about the Epson salt she hadn't started to pinecone.  Her tank is presently at 0.3% with aquarium salt.  She is in a 10g QT.  How much do I use? Is it a "bath"?  I thought I read something about getting the fish to ingest it.... did I misinterpret this? 

I had started her on Medi-Gold  till I received the MetroMed.  The Metro-Med didn't seem to help and states it's for "internal parasites  and symptoms  of dropsy."  She is well past just the symptoms stage, she now has full blown dropsy. The Kanaplex and Force is for bacterial.  I figure if it isn't a parasite that is causing her problem then maybe it is something more bacterial and better to treat for that.

Of course my lfs had never had or used Metro-Med and recommended the Kanaplex with the Force.  (both links above).  And I do know about trusting the word of our local stores, but they seem pretty reputible(sp?) and only deal with fish. (I hope that's not my mistake).

388039[/snapback]

Hi

Ingesting epsom is for constipation :)

As for using epsom salt instead of sea/aquarium salt for dropsy...some say yes some say no. Either one is used in the water, not together and not as dips or ingested

Hope that clears things a bit :)

Thanks LMF for clarifing this.

I didn't think that I could use them both but I'm sooo afraid I'm loosing her that I seem to be second guessing myself and questioning everything I've read, trying to make sure that I'm doing this right. She is not doing very well at this point.

My lfs said the Maracin isn't what it used to be and recommeded these other two meds together. I have checked other lfs and so far I must not be looking in the right places because I can't find them. I will keep on with the search though. The Meds I have cannot be used with other meds like MetroMed or Medigold.

I think I just read that Pineconeing comes from a ?parasite? So should I be treating her for the Parasites with the MetroMed instead of the "Force" for the bacteria? :stars

Dropsy is actually a condition, not a disease. The problem is there are many diseases that can cause the dropsy condition or symptoms, they can be bacterial, viral or parasitical. It is very difficult, if not impossible, to know what is causing the dropsy because the infection is internal. That is why sometimes people get results with medigold and other times get results with metromed. I would cover all bases and feed both.

Many people do use the marcyn products with varying success, but you don't appear to have any option other than to try the product recommended by your lfs. I haven't heard of it myself, but I live in Australia and nothing much is available here.

Best of luck but act quickly.

Thanks for getting back to me fishmerized.....

I didn't know that Medigold and MetroMed could be used together. I may go that route. I don't want to keep mixing medications around though. I know that the bugs can build up ammunities and then the meds wont work.

I understand your concerns about bugs developing immunity, the main cause of this is overuse of antibiotics or improper use of antibiotics. ie. always complete the full course of antibiotics even if you start to feel well. Many people stop taking medication believing they are helping to prevent the development of bug immunity. It's the opposite, if you don't kill all those bugs completely, the few surviving ones will develope resistance. So when you pass the bug onto someone else it already has had exposure to antibiotics and developed resistance making it harder for the next person to recover. And so on and so forth ...

Anyway, enough of my rave.

Mixing medications is not always a bad thing. Some medications can and should be used together. I believe this is the case with dropsy. Medicated food and medicated water treatment is a way of attacking the disease on two fronts.

I would go ahead with the Kanaplex together with medigold and metromed. Focus is just another medicated food which isn't necessary since you already have some.

Thanks Annette.

The one thing I am thankful for is she still has a very good appetite. So I'll try your suggetion.

I am presently trying to switch the tank from Aquarium salt to Epson to see if I can't get some of the swelling down. One time I look at her and I think she looks less pineconed...then next time I think..."maybe it was wishful thinking"

Thanks again Annette, I really appreaciate the help.

Thanks again for all of your help Annette. I appreciate you getting back with me on everything.

Yesterday, I finally found the Maracyn and Maracyn two. :nana At a farmer supply store of all places.

Anyway..... I have changed her water and added the M-2 to her tank. I am also feeding her the Medigold and Metromed combination.

She is pretty much just sitting on the bottom of the tank, but perks up everytime I come near and starts scrounging for food. Keep your fingers cross that I may be able to pull her out of this. I'm still a little weary in saying she's going to make it, but I think I have at least found a regiment to follow.

Archived