Help! Why Did My Oranda Die?!

Guest gemkat18

Guest gemkat18

Four days ago i bought a small one inch panda oranda for my 5 gallon tank. (I am still cycling my 55) The 5 gallon was all cycled, PH at 7.0, no amonia or nitrites (everything was perfect!). The past three days the oranda has been fine, swimming around, eating lettuce,peas, fish food. and then today i found him dead at the bottom of the tank. He showed no sign of disease except for a small white patch on his wen, which i hear is normal with growth since he is still a baby. I just have no idea what could have caused him to die. I was doing everything right and he seemed so healthy! I'm really going to miss him, he was such a beautiful fish. If you know anything that could help me understand what might have happened please reply asap. Thank you.

Hi and welcome gemkat18

Firat of all I am so sorry at your loss :(

I really have no idea what went wrong

i could rant about 5 gal but...i had a 3 inch lionhead in 6 gal before he got sick...so it can be done.

You obviously know about cycling and have test kits...thats great!!!!!!

There is only 2 things I can think of..if the 5 gal was cycled, could the nitritAtes have risen as its a small amount of water and things happen fast. I just mention this as you did not post a NitrAte reading.

Or...your fish was already sick when you got him and 4 days is not much time to "get to know" his normal behaviour and maybe he would of died in the shop anyway.

I hope someone else with more knowledge can give some more input but for me..thats the only things I can think of for now

again I am so sorry you lost him :(

Sweetheart, the same thing has happened to me too many times. There is no obvious explaination, everything appeared to be fine at your place.

The most vulnerable time for new fish is the first few weeks after you bring them home. I have had a couple that were fine for almost a month, then wammy, they got sick and died.

It is most likely that your fish was sick or stressed from conditions it experienced before it came into your care. I'm very sorry the little fella didn't survive. :(

Archived