May I Use Bathtub To Keep My Goldfish Outdoor

bengyong

Hi There,

I've been wanted to keep goldfish for so many years. Finally I've bought my own house and I can do whatsoever with as I like. I want to keep gold fish.

Last week, I've set up a clay Urn (I think I called it correctly :crp ) to keep 3 little gold fish (about 1 inch long) :newfish . However, I'm thinking to get more fish in the future, so I'm thinking will it be ok If I use a bathtub (disassembled from the bath room :blink: ) to keep fish? I'm planning to set up my "bathtub pond" outside my house.

If it is ok, what should I be aware of.

Plese advice, Thank you :D

Yupe, I signed.

Guest Chishower

Thats very original...As long as it has enough gallonage, and is cleaned very well I dont see the problem.

Is it one of the old tubs, or one of the new ones that are a hollow shell? If its a new one, you could stuff insulation inside the shell (not the tub part) to help with temperature fluctuations...I dunno how you would have a filter work with that, though.

Guest mickey85

Is it one of the old tubs, or one of the new ones that are a hollow shell?  If its a new one, you could stuff insulation inside the shell (not the tub part) to help with temperature fluctuations...I dunno how you would have a filter work with that, though.

387165[/snapback]

A friend of mine has a really kewl filter set up for his. There are industrial tanks and pumps you can get for medium duty machinery that holds coolant. This coolant is directed via plastic nozzles (like the ones that you would use to direct water in a reef tank) onto the piece you are working on to cool it off, then it drains into a pan below the tool and back into the tank where it is pumped back up.

He bought one of these new and plumbed it under a claw foot bathtub. The bathtub drain has a piece of window screen over it and is only half-opened to cut back on the current. THis goes into the tank which is FILLED with bioballs. The pump pumps it back into the tub. It works really well and he's kept a whole bunch of Angelfish in there.

However, those systems usually cost $150-200 and don't really allow for much mechanical filtration...

It's a old tub, made of steel and spray with white paint, Perhaps I should get a picture of it and post it here during the weekend. I've never really think of the filteration. I got a used pump from my brother from his old glasses aquarium, I wonder is that sufficient enough to circulate the water in the tub.

About temperature fluctuations, that's one of my concern too. However I'm thinking of getting a canvas or something to build a shade on it. Wonder if this is good enough?

so are you clean the tub correctly so theres no danger for your fish?

387160[/snapback]

How do I ensure the tubs is really clean? I'm just cleaning the tub as clean as possible using some organic dish cleaner (from Amway) to clean the tubs.

Any better suggestion? please advice, thanks.

Guest mickey85
so are you clean the tub correctly so theres no danger for your fish?

387160[/snapback]

How do I ensure the tubs is really clean? I'm just cleaning the tub as clean as possible using some organic dish cleaner (from Amway) to clean the tubs.

Any better suggestion? please advice, thanks.

387573[/snapback]

Use bleach, not normal soap. Bleach is essentially chlorine, so if you use that, then rinse it really well, then use double the amount of dechlorinator, you'll be fine. If you use regular soap, it'll always be there. Bleach also works well on lime.

Think about using a sump system like my buddy...and if you have the "pond" aboveground, think about just having it inside like in the basement or something. aboveground pools are apt to freeze....

Use bleach, not normal soap. Bleach is essentially chlorine, so if you use that, then rinse it really well, then use double the amount of dechlorinator, you'll be fine. If you use regular soap, it'll always be there. Bleach also works well on lime.

Think about using a sump system like my buddy...and if you have the "pond" aboveground, think about just having it inside like in the basement or something. aboveground pools are apt to freeze....

387722[/snapback]

Ha! :D In Malaysia, my only worry is that the water goes too warm caused by direct sunlight. We don't have winter here.

Anyway, the advice is appreciated and it might be use as refer for anyone who wish to do this in the cold wheather country.

Thanks

;)

Archived