Natural Algea Control

fishermoe14

please move mods if this is in the wrong place.

i have a bad algea problem in my 100 gal pond. i was wondering what i could put in there to eat all the algea. the water temp gets to probly 60 F (i live in minnesota) the only fish i have in there right now are commons and commets. i also kind of wanted to stay away from snails becuase they might run away on me. if snails dont run away then please name the kind(s) that will work. THANKS ALOT :yeah:

shade helps, do you have water lilies? You could plant something next to the pond to help shade it. Some people (not all) have luck using koi clay, it works for me but might not for you. I also use microbe lift pl which helps keep the water clear. Snails will not run away. I have snails in my pond and I HATE them. They get into the filtration and clog everything up.

Some algae is good. Too much isn't.

I honestly think for your size pond hardy water lilies would be the answer. Possibly the microbe lift pl, I wouldn't think you'd need anything else. I'm glad you said you wanted a 'natural' algae control because you obviously know that algaecide isn't the answer.

Scott

cool thanks scott. i was wondering if there are any plecos that coupld stand the temp. as for the water lillies i just got sum and put them in there. how do the snails clog up your filters??? do they just get in them and get in the way??

one side question: should i feed my commons and comets floating pellets or sinking?? im aking becuase i saw an article on aquarium fish.net and it said that floating ones should be used for ponds.

again thanks alot :)

I feed floating pellest (sho koi).

The snails clog up the filter with their shells. They also get into the pump and can stop the propelers of small pumps. I got some pond snails in my 50 gallon tank and they did this to the two pumps in there.

Plecos need warmer water than what goldfish would need. Plecos also like to suck on the sides of goldfish and can kill them. They generally aren't good together unless the goldfish you have are small.

Scott

Archived