Should I Get This Fish...

onefish3

Okay, I have just ordered 2 ranchus that I expect, at most, by the end of next week. They are 4-5 inches long and I only have a 29 gal tank, but I've keep seeing this almost totally white, 3 inch oranda at my local lfs. Should I get him too?

My better sense says no, my ranchus will be happier by themselves in the tank with Stan the snail, but I've got this voice in my head saying my tank's technically got room for one more.

Can I get some Yeas or Nays from you guys? :devilangel

Guest cshepard

Nay, get another tank and get 2 Orandas!

Technically, you don't have room for one more in the 29 g.

I think 10 gal. per fish is the absolute minimum, your ranchus will be way happier with 15 g. each (20 g would be even better!)

Well, do what your heart desires, but remember that if you do get one more fish, you will need to be using more effort to change water more frequently, so think about it carefully. One more fish won't hurt, yes, the 10 gallon rule, but 9.6 gallons per fish aren't really overstocked.

Please note that this is my own opinion.

Oh man, an almost all white oranda. I've seen a 7 inch all white oranda and it was sooo beautiful. If it wasn't already sold I would have gotten it.

If you get the your fish will be fine for now. If you don't mind upgrading your tank later on, I'd say get him. Your fish will grow and need more room to swim.

From someone who had 3 fish in a 29 gal, it was a bit crowded. They fish seemed to do much better when there was only 2 in there.

The desision is yours, but they will grow better and be healthier with just the 2.

Guest Chishower

If you reeeeeeeeally want the fish, I would pick up either a 10 or 20 gallon tank. You would have to QT it, anyway, you might as well just get a nice tank for it and keep it there. I also think 10 gallons per fish is the bare minimum, better to be safe than sorry.

omg is an all white oranda rare? I saw one at the pet store a few days ago and considered getting it but I didnt.

Oh and if it were me, yes I would get another fish. That is fine if you follow the one goldfish per 10 gallons rule.

Guest VanillaOranda

I have more fish than that in my 10 gal and they're all great, water params are superbe, just have more filtering :D

I'll get the four of them a 29gal when they grow more, or when I get more money

Archived