Golden Algae Eater

Kagome100

Ok ummm well I have a golden algae eater in with 2 gold fish. They were doing fine, till a few weeks ago one night I got up and for no reason I felt like looking at the gold fish, and saw him swiming after them... I never see him doing it in the day time, but at night I have seen him do it.. I thought algae eatters did not try to hurt other fish, what's going on? Should I take it out from the gold fish?

Yes Plecos are not good with goldfish. They like the way the slime coating tastes and will suck it off the fish. There are articles on Koko's about this and also numerous other posts. You can look those up for more info.

Guest mickey85

Golden algae eaters are the same as chinese algae eaters...they're very belligerent when they get older. In fact, I wouldn't get one of those no matter what kind of fish I have in that tank...

Guest ForeverTheBard

I had to get rid of my chinese algae eater when I found her attached to the wen of my oranda and him flailing around trying to get her off. It was then that I realized that she was probably the cause of the injury/infection that killed my calico oranda over the summer.

So she is gone now and there is peace in the tank.

Get rid of the algae eater!!

FTB

Archived