Spinal Issues In A Ryunkin

Myaj

Hey guys, long time no see.

My 3 ryunkins are doing great, well, other than the one that is the subject of this post.

My calico has had some swimming issues that started within a month or so of me owning her (its been about a year now). I always just assumed it was swim bladder problems, since ryunkins are so prone to that sort of thing. But I've come to realize, she simply can not use her tail. Its like its paralyzed. She can move and steer with the little tail fins that are inside her big fins, but the two big tail fins just hang down limply. She used to use them a little, when she got really excited, but now she can't move them at all.

As a result, she doesn't have the greatest control, does a lot of somersaulting when she gets excited, etc. Recently she's been having issues with getting stuck upside down or tangled in plants and unable to get out (I've removed the plants she was getting tangled in but left the anubias barteri as she seems to use that as support when she's resting). She can still get to food though I have to make sure she realizes its feeding time so she can start heading over. I feed New Life Spectrum goldfish food (sinking) and have soaked it before feeding ever since I first noticed her problems. They get zuchanni or brussles sprouts, duckweed or skinned peas at least once a week. No ammonia, no nitrites, nitrates are generally around 15-20 but I'm dealing with 10 out of the tap so I can't get them too much lower. 50% changes each week. Tank is a 60 gallon with the 3 medium sized ryunkins, 3 dojo loaches, one bristlenose pleco and about 6 white clouds.

Is there anything I can do to help her out that I haven't tried already? I am moving in the next month and the water quality isn't as good (ammonia out of the tap) and I'm a bit worried about how that will affect her, though she seems perfectly healthy other than her tail not working. At what point do I start to think about humanely euthanizing her? The other two goldies don't push her around or bother her, she is eating fine, but I feel horrible when I walk in the room and she's stuck upside down (not caught in anything, just unable to turn upright) or trying to swim over to me but can't handle the current... Yet I'd hate to put her in her own tank as she really seems to like nuzzling up to the other goldies.

Guest Chishower

I wouldn't euthanize that fish unless there was a serious quality of life issue, which I dont see here. You might want to make her her own tank, just so that she has an easier time getting food, and throw in some plants she cant get stuck in and such. As long as she can still eat, play, and isnt getting sucked against the filter intake alot I would just keep going the way you are.

You seem to be doing a great job tending to her special needs. I love Ryukins... :heart

Awww! You are such a good fish companion - looking after like that!

Maybe a separate tank would be better, later on - but if it stresses her out to be away form the others, you may just have to keep being very attentive.

You may want to post something in the disease discussion forum to make sure there isn't a bigger issue - like TB (not trying to freak you out - just a precautionary thought) - that could affect your other fish - since she used to be able to use her tail... Maybe it was from a traumatic injury... Just a suggestion.

Where I live, we have the worst water on the Eastern seaboard (at least) - the ammonia, chorines, and chloramines, with all the other crud in our water could kill a cow! But, I use a special filter when I do water changes and then I use Prime - it works really well. I double dose it b/c of our extreme situation but you could probably get away with regular dosing. A big bottle (10 bucks) lasts a long time!

http://www.aquariumguys.com/prime250ml.html (there are several sizes)

THe only thing about Prime is that you will want to make sure you are using the right test kit as it binds ammonia but leaves it present in the water. I think a silicate based test is the right one (let me check) I know the one I use is the right one for using Prime - it is Aquarium Pharmaceuticals Fresh Water Master Kit.

http://www.goldfishconnection.com/shop/det...tId=34&catId=22

Both of these products are widley available - I just put links so you could check them out. THere are other ammonia binders but Prime is the most recommended.

I might keep clove oil on hand, in case, but I would also wait until it is very clear that she cannot survive on her own - I have heard some amazing survival stories! A little love goes a long way! And it sounds like you have plenty of that to give her! :heart

Thanks guys, I know I won't consider euthanising her for a long time yet, unless someone spoke up about something I hadn't considered yet, like ill effects from being stuck upside down, etc. I do always have clove oil on hand though, for doing dentistry work on my puffers (and you think goldies can be a lot of work...).

I am using Amquel right now, I think I read somewhere that Amquel is better for harder water and Prime for softer water, but either one is what I will be sticking to after the move. Hopefully its just gunk in the pipes, the place has been vacant since December so maybe after we flush everything out it won't be so bad.

I don't *think* it is TB, that usually involves some deformity and she looks just fine, just like the other two ryunkins, but she simply doesn't move her tail fins. Its amazing how fast she can move around when she wants to though hehe. Oh also, she never has trouble near the filter intake (its a Fluval 404) but just if she swims into the path of the power jet it pushes her around. Guess I"m just being a worry wort... Everyone that visits loves her the best since they think its cute when she does somersaults *sigh*...

Amquel lowers pH. And it is also a very good ammonia binding agent.

Hope I did not offend with the TB -just wanted to be thorough, it may not contort the spine right away (I have some experience with TB). But, nevermind. Sounds like you got it under control. :D She is a very beautiful fish! (GN does somersaults for no reason at all)!

Archived