Testing Water Levels

Guest ckolstad

Guest ckolstad

We have not been able to find a kit that includes testing for both ammonia and nitrites...Could we just measure one and still be successful at cycling? The nitrite kit measures nitrites,ph and some other things. the ammonia kit just measures ammonia.

Most of the kits sell the Ammonia kit seperately :( I have a test kit by Fresh Labs that contains: ph (high and low range), Nitrite and Ammonia. I had to buy Nitrate seperate though.

In the end, you will probably need to buy 2 seperate kits to get the ph, nitrite and ammonia all together unless you get lucky and find a kit with them all like I did. It can be spendy, but they are important tests :( I would personally go for the liquid tests with vials rather than the little paper dips. All of the dip tests I've seen only do 25 tests (and cost $10 each here), but you could get one of the tests with the vials and liquids to mix for $5-10 (for a single one, like PH) that will do 50-100 tests :)

GOod luck!

Guest ckolstad

Thank you...we were gonna do the liquid tests...but we found a very helpful pet store today called Petland, and they will test our water for free.

i found a master test kit made by aquarium pharmaceuticals, inc. (the blue fish in the lab coat). glass vial liquid drop tests for ph, high range ph, amonia, nitrite, nitrate, plastic instruction cards, and a handy booklet of what the results mean and how to correct them, all for like 32 bucks. i got mine at my lfs, but i've seen 'em at vvvv and online too.

I have the AP Nitrate Test but I don't like that brand very well -_- Their glass vial leaks so I get the liquids all over my hands and it's just a mess LoL.

I would still get a test kit even though the petstore will do a free set of tests... Unless you live close enough so you can do a test every few days/once a week. Some stores won't tell you the results either. The mmm out here will just say if they were okay or not. A friend asked for the results but they wouldn't give them specific results for each test they did -_-

really?? i haven't had any trouble with mine yet, but maybe i'll keep my eyes open for a new kit. thanks for the heads up.

the vvvv here will only test the water if you're returning a dead fish, and even then won't tell you the results. my lfs would give me the results when i asked, but i think that's just because i've spent SO much money there :)

balashark: No problem :) I have an old ph kit by Tetra with a nice plastic vial. I switched from Fresh Labs to that ph kit for now. Once it's finished up I'll clean the vial up really well and just use that one instead for the Nitrate. It doesn't leak and the 5 cc mark (where it needs to be filled for the Nitrate test) is way down at the bottom of the tube so it shouldn't be as messy :)

Good luck with the test kitts!!

Archived