Albino Veil Tail Down

daryl

This morning when I fed my fish, I noticed that my albino veiltail seemed to look pinker than normal - not so white/yellow. I thought it was a bit strange but honestly did not think too much about it.

By this evening he was upside down on the bottom of the tank. There is red coloration showing between his scales. They are not raised - or if they are it is so small it is tough to tell.

None of the other fish in the tank appear to be sick. The tank has a UV on it. I am hoping that by separating this fish I can prevent any of the others from having problems. I remember something LaurieP (I think it was her wise posting) that said most things do not travel too easily between fish. I am hoping this is true. There has been nothing different in his life with the exception of a new batch of gel food yesterday and this morning.

I put him in a quarantine tank, with MaracynII. He is right side up and has not flipped again since I moved him. Tomorrow I am thinking of getting some Baytril from the vet's and injecting him.

Any other suggestions? Does this seem like the right treatment? He is eating, swimming, and acting more or less normally now. Metro Meds? MediGold?

He is about 4 inches in body - a good 8+ with tail. The tail is showing a split that it did not have before. He has always been a strong, healthy fish with no problems with floating, nitrate sensitivities, or any other problems. His poop has been normal. He seems to be redder on his head, and between his scales on his sides. He is albino - so his skin is rather translucent and shows his blood vessels through it normally, but what I am seeing is more than usual. :(

This morning he is solidly upright and eating MediGold well. The red between his scales is not so dramatic. I am cautiously hopeful that I caught it in time.

Whew.

I hope so daryl. A stitch in time saves nine.

Very strange symptoms though, upside down on the bottom. hmmn?

Maybe you should think twice about using that batch of gelfood again. It was floaty and your regular batches sink. Is it only a coincidence that this batch went floaty and then your veiltale got sick? I don't know but it seems the only suspicious thing in the equation.

Glad to hear he is better.

I am not recalling which posting you refered to (too much stress right now brain is overloaded).

However I believe it to be true (wish I could find that posting), alot of diseases take direct exposure to be contracted thus just sharing the same environment is safe.

I think you are right on with the Baytril, I always wonder about Septicimia any time red shows up anywhere, especially when it turns a fish pink or red.

I would do a 3 day injection plan to be on the safe side.

I injected him this morning. I hope I did it right....... **she holds her breath***

I am thinking that no matter how many nice bloodworms I made into that stuff that it truly is the only thing that has changed with that fish! So it went into the garbage this morning. Sigh.

I expect I should go out and get more supplies. I hate being without gel food in the house.......

***sells her right leg for a tank of gas***

:o

I am sure you did the injection right.

So you think the bloodworms are to blame for this?

And I know exactly how you feel about the gas and selling body parts.

Let us know how he continues to feel.

I think there is always a small but very real risk with any frozen foods, be they for humans or animals.

When you consider how far the frozen blood worms travelled it is not hard to imagine a situation where they may have defrosted a little bit and gone off before refreezing. We put a lot of faith in thousands of unknown people when we eat frozen foods.

Not saying I'm against frozen foods, I eat them and feed them to my fish but the risk is there as with any food not prepared by oneself.

Your so lucky you can do your own injections, hope all is turns out well for your veiltale.

ACtually, I cannot seem to relax into the injections. I have hardly any problems with mammals - but I do muscles mostly. The wiggly, slippery fish is really something else to try to hit! Wow. I have the utmost appreciation for those who do it easily! **SHe bows deeply** (This may be a big fish in length, but the body is not that big, maybe 4 inches plus a little - he is all fin)

He still has slightly raised sclaes on one side and one of his beautiful tail fins has split about 3 inches up it. But he is alert, upright, eating and swimming. So I guess that which does not kill may heal. I hope.

I just need patience........ :)

Well I am glad to hear he seems to be holding his own. It is a good sign he is eating and has strength, even if it makes your job harder. ;)

Is there anything I can do to help you with the injections? A syringe is a natural instrument for me and I am use to helping others master the skill, it would be my pleasure to help if I can.

I truly appreciate the offer, Laurie. You have my admiration that you can do so well with the syringe. I can do a lot, but am simply not comfortable nor particularly competant with it.

I managed the 3 injections as prescribed. THe fish is still on MarycynII - the 6th day. His scales have maybe gone down a bit - they are raised by the tiniest bit and he is still kind of pinkish color - not the translucent white/yellow that is normal for him. His beautiful tail is ripped in several places ( :cry1 ).

But, he is upright, swimming normally, eating normally and reacting normally. I hope that if I can keep beating away at this, that he will eventually make a complete recovery.

I guess it is just going to take time. When Hubble went down (and I am strongly suspicious that this may be somehow related - two bacterial type infections within 2 months in my house!) it took many weeks to get him back up and healthy. He is slightly tipped - but healthy now, so I have hopes for the veiltail.

With luck, slow, persistant and consistant will win the battle.

:)

I'm just catching up a bit now, and have just read this thread.

I sure hope that your veiltail is still making progress.

I once fed bloodworms from a new package, and within days lost a goldfish to an internal bacterial infections. I then fed another tank of fish with bloodworms from the same package and again lost another fish to a bacterial infection within a week of feeding.

I am sure those bloodworms were contaminated . :blowup:

I use them on occasion. My son uses them with the Prime Reef for his Knife fish. Is it common for them to be bad?

I used the Hikari frozen ones - but judgeing from the HUGE lettering on the package guaranteeing them to be free of parasites and bacteria, I would have to assume that those things are a real problem in many live foods.

:blink:

I don't anything else except Hikari when it comes to frozen foods because of that sterilization claim.

Of course, I can imagine that if those bloodworms thaw accidentally during transport - sterilized or not - that can't be very good for them. That is probably a problem in hot climates like mine, but I saw a delivery of frozen foods arrive at Petsupermarket a while back, and it was almost thawed, since some smart pants had it sit in a warehouse with no A/C. They just plopped it into the store's freezer, and if you don't know, you'd never guess it was thawed before...

:unsure: Heya Carol,I just spotted this! Must have been my work week. :rolleyes: How's your veiltail doing now? Hopefully all better from the Baytril.And how is our Hubble doing today?

Hubble is back in the celestial tank with the others. He (she actually) is slightly less stable than normal, but I can barely tell. I think it will be a lifetime problem. But his scales have regrown and he is happy and eating and swiming and all.

The Baytril may have helped a lot - for the veil is still with me. He is still in iso, though, for his scales on one side still seem to be a bit raised. I am having trouble telling if it is real or imagined, but when I really look closely at the other fish for comparison, his do seem a bit up. It is hard to tell - he is so translucent/white and under each scale is kinda pinky, so a pinky reddish line is around each scale. It is hard to tell if this is what I am seeing or if it is accented because the scale is lifted.

I stopped treatment for 4 days, and his tail got red streaks in the tips and one torn tip bled a bit, so he is back on Metromeds.

I am sad, for that tail was a thing of great beauty! Oh, well, with luck it will heal.

I am still holding out for a complete cure..... :)

Archived