Hikari Frozen Brine Shrimp

Slugger

Hi All,

I recently bought some UV sterilised frozen brine shrimp, fortified with vitamins and spirulina (sp?).

The fishies don't eat them :( The cubes of shrimp just melt and mess up the filters.

Is it worth trying frozen blood worms?

Slugger :)

Thanks.

I'll buy frozen cubes of bloodworms (fortified with vitamins). After bloodworms, I'm gonna try mealworms and crickets.

A few years back, I used to buy fresh bloodworms for my betta and at the time my goldies weren't interested :huh:

A friend of mine keeps tropicals and he swears that the vitamin enriched bloodworms make his fish far more energetic and healthy. He used to buy fresh and frozen non-fortified bloodworms. :)

Thanks.

I'll buy frozen cubes of bloodworms (fortified with vitamins).  After bloodworms, I'm gonna try mealworms and crickets.

A few years back, I used to buy fresh bloodworms for my betta and at the time my goldies weren't interested  :huh:

A friend of mine keeps tropicals and he swears that the vitamin enriched bloodworms make his fish far more energetic and healthy.  He used to buy fresh and frozen non-fortified bloodworms. :)

386658[/snapback]

meal worms and crickets are actually a big no no, I really need to type up a report on quality protein <_<

Low protein insects?

btw how is protein measured? All the packs of fish food have a XX% protein...

I am interested to hear what you got to say on a high protein diet.

Guest Chishower

My fish love bloodworms, but alas, I cannot feed them. Every time I do I end up a sneezing itchy eyed mess.

...ok, maybe I can tolerate that once a week? Is there any alternatives to bloodworms that I can live through?

You're allergic to them? Even the frozen ones? That's a bummer.

Alternatives, hmm... what makes blood worms red? blood?

How about congealed pigs blood? If not, how about animal hearts?

That must be high in fat though..

Maniacholic may have some good suggestions.

You're allergic to them?  Even the frozen ones?  That's a bummer.

Alternatives, hmm... what makes blood worms red? blood?

How about congealed pigs blood?  If not, how about animal hearts?

That must be high in fat though..

Maniacholic may have some good suggestions.

387114[/snapback]

stay away from the fats :stop

Blood worms are red by nature if you ever seen the live ones :D would be scary if they have "donate to the worm foundation"

Guest Chishower

Figures, I am also allergic to mosquitos...bites get the size of quarters. :ill Good thing I moved to florida. :rofl

Maniacholic: You were talking about using fishheads in your gel food..where can one obtain these fish heads? (and what would my mother think...) What other good sources of protein are there that don't have much fat? Some sort of lean uncooked meat? Shrimp? What about crab meat, or even pinkie mice? With the snakes, I have a bunch of those on hand...but I am guessing its not good.

Figures, I am also allergic to mosquitos...bites get the size of quarters.  :ill   Good thing I moved to florida.  :rofl

Maniacholic:  You were talking about using fishheads in your gel food..where can one obtain these fish heads?  (and what would my mother think...)  What other good sources of protein are there that don't have much fat?  Some sort of lean uncooked meat?  Shrimp?  What about crab meat, or even pinkie mice?  With the snakes, I have a bunch of those on hand...but I am guessing its not good.

387164[/snapback]

"fat" is too open ended, there are many different types of fats, omega 6 fatty acids are the ones that are good for goldfishes.

Fish heads can be found in many oriental markets, they're actually used in soups sometimes, very nutritious and tasty.

Shrimp is good, but I'm actually a bit concerned about crab meat since they can actually be harmful to even humans when consumed too much due to water pollution.

don't know about pinkie mice, not even sure what they are.

Archived