Hooray!

I just tested my water and my parameters are as follows:

pH 7.5

ammonia 0.0

nitrite 0.0

nitrate 5.0

This is the first time I've tested and the nitrite has been 0!! I last tested 2 days ago and it was 0.25 and the nitrates were at 5.0 then also. (I kinda got off to a bad start as I set up the tank and didn't know about the whole cylcing thing til about 2 weeks after that.) So I've been (properly) cycling for 3 weeks. (The tank has been set up for 5 weeks.)

Am I cycled? And if so, I just do weekly water changes now? What percent should I change out (10-25% depending on water parameters)? I'll probably re-test params in a couple days to make sure they are still ok. Also, I can stop adding salt when I change water since nitrites are at a good level, right?

I would like to thank everyone who has helped me get this far!! I've learned so much these past few weeks (it seems like months) and this site has really saved my goldies lives!! My 2 children and I thank you all soooooo much!! :heart

If your nItrites are indeed zero, then YES, you can stop adding the salt. YIPPEE!! With your subsequent water changes, the salt will disappear.

Looks like you are cycled. I would do water changes weekly, except if your tank is overstocked (then more often). I perform 40% water changes on a weekly basis. Twenty-five percent would prob be the minimum I would perform. Again, everything is determined on YOUR tank specs. Check the water as often as you feel comfortable. Any time you start to see your nitrAtes rising, then do a water change. Else, just perform it weekly if all params are okay.

Congrats!! :D

Archived