Getting The Effects

Anic

I live in Indiana, which is kinda far from where Katrina hit, but we're under a flash flood warning (it's been raining all day) and more than likely someone will hit a pole and we'll be without power for a few hours. I'm out in the country, so it'll take longer to get fixed. I know my Bettas will be fine, and the goldies are in a bigger tank with more room (29 gal), but I wanna know how long they'll do without the filter or the bubbles going. I don't have a battery-powered air pump, though.

It isn't a garauntee that the power will go out, but I want to know ahead of time.

Thank you!

Hmm im not sure, this might sound crazy. But i remember a long time ago here in canada quebec we got a storm called the ICE STORM. All our power was out for 3 weeks. Anyways. too keep my fish alive. I had a straw to blow

bubbles every now and then :blink: Im sure they'll be O.K if you still keep up

with water changes. And try and give some type of oxygen.

-ALEX

Oh my BOranda....I'd have passed out

It's good to be prepared Anic. I don't really know the answer to your question but I'll keep my fingers cross you don't loose power.

We are gettting the rains too, but so far no high winds.

Hey Anic,

I'm not sure what filter type you've got, but I have picked this bit of info over my time of surfing Koko's, if the power goes out for a couple of hours ie there's no oxygen getting to your biobugs that they'll die and when the filter goes back on again, you will pump a whole lot of dead bacteria which'll rot and release ammonia, ie wreck your cycle. I have not had this experience personally, so can't comment from experience, it's hearsay, but it sounds logical. If you can't keep water pumping through your filter during power outages, just be prepared for an ammonia spike/re-cycling of your tank afterwards. As far as oxygen is concerned, it depends on the temperature of your water, how much surface area per fish, but you should be fine for a while, depending on how stocked your tank is..

Sorry to be so vague, but I don't know what/how your tank's set up.

Good luck! I'll keep my fingers crossed for you!

The power went out last night. The big tank was fine, the filter had kicked back on when the power came back on. But the little tank didn't. Fortunatly, there was only a Betta in it.

Archived