I Think My Redcap Is Going To Die!

FishFace

Taco (my redcap) is in a 40gallon tub with two fantails. The water is changed regularly and they eat progold...

I've only had Taco about 9months, but he has grown a LOT. I got him at about 1inch long and now he is as big as the orandas that petstors sell for about $40 (over 6in long). Sadly, he is dying.

About 2 months ago I saw that he seemed to have finrot and I tried to medicate with salt to no aval. Since then I've medicated with TWO other treatments but it has only spread and turned into something more. His EYES are covered with FUNGUS :ill . Taco is totally BLIND :cry1 . I am treating with a fungus treatment right now....but he isn't getting better. Now he has red streaks in his tail, finrot, eye fungus, chunks out of his dorsal fin etc. My other two are fine...both about 6in long and healthy as any fish you'd ever see.

I think if this treatment hasn't worked in the next few weeks, either Taco will be dead or I'll have to put him out of his sickness and misery. RIght now he just swims slowly around the tank trying not to bunp anything. :(

Any ideas? I would post in the diease section...but I am already treating and stuff. The main point of my post is to update people, although suggestions on teatment are welcome.

:( Im not so good with sicknesses. I would add some espon salt it helped

much with my fish. I have used melaxfix to treat fin rot a few times too

and worked rather well.Make sure to check water levels ect, and have good filtration. I really do hope he makes it. :hug

-Alex

My little fish recently had finrot (yesterday) and I treated it with Melafix, and it is gone today!!! Great product! If you don't have any, I'd highly suggest you run out and go get some! Now! Good luck with Taco. Hopefully he survives. *hug*

OK, I found the box.

Nitrate < 20ppm

Nitrite around 0 (I think its actually "0", but its hard to tell if its .3 or below...)

soft water

low alkalinity

ph of 6.7 in tank and out of tap

they ear pro-gold

water is medicated with Jungle Fungus Clear ( I think thats the right name..)

no unusual behavior except the slowness and bumping things

Ammonia - I forgot the exact reading and that was my last strip to test with, but I know it was a very good level.

I change 75% water weekly

40gallon tank

3 fish at about 6in each

the fish has bloody streaks, white eyes (I think the fungus spread?), frayed fins, and fungus.

The other 2 fish are 100% healthy.

I forgot to mention the kind of filtration...

I forget the brand and gph :S, but I know thats its good. I read the reccomendations on this site for what type of filter to get, and I got one strong enough for gf and it is always going.

I also have a bubble wand, if that matters..

Ok the red streaks aren't good, that could mean Septicimia is setting in. Septicimia is a bacterial infection of the blood stream, injectable antibotics are needed. Is there a fish vet near you?

Also feeding the fish Metromed is best.

The airstone is good, the more oxygen the better for them when they aren't feeling well.

As for the fungus, I am sorry I can't help you there. I do know though the septicimia needs the attention first if you plan on trying to save the fish.

Obviously if you feel it is time to end the fish's suffering then euthanasia is the way to go. There is a pinned topic on how to do it.

Good luck with what you decide.

My fish had cloudy eyes aswell then pineconed then got Septicimia, he got so bloody that his fins and most of his body was covered in red blood under the skin :(

but he lived!!!!!!!!!

In Australia there was no access to antibiotic food either.

If you can get the Metromed as LaurieP sugested..that would be good!

I will be praying for your fish and you.

Unfortunetly Septicimia is best treated with injectable meds from a vet. If you have a vet that can sell you Baytril and TB syringes then you can learn to give them yourself. Most people don't like this but it isn't that hard.

The Metromed food will help to keep antibotics in his system, but that is as long as he eats.

I must tell you it doesn't look good when you can't treat Septicimia with injectable meds.

I really dont want to put my foot in here or step out of place yanno

so no offence here for butting in

the cloudy eye may not be fungus...sounds more bacterial which would add up with the red streaks..so septicimia as LaurieP sugested.

but if it is not possible to get medicated food or injections...what about an antiobiotic that can be in the water?

Tri-sulpher can be placed in the water and absorbed

and I think there is another one, I just can not remember the name right now...I will try to find it...I know i wrote it down when I was trying to find it myself

they are the only two I know of that can be absorbed thru the water

It may be a long shot....

LuvMuhFred. I think your right abiut the eye thing. He seems to be getting a tiny bit better because his eyes are a little less white, the straks are smaller, and he is more active...but he still has the finrot :(

I've got him in a slightly salted tank with his meds, and I give him a salt bath every day...

I know its not an exact treatment, but nothing else was helping and this seems to....

Sorry to hear you can't do the injectable meds. Those obviously are the best way to go, but if you can't do it then if you want to try something then Maracyn 2 may help.

No matter where the "bacterial" infection started once it is in the blood stream it becomes almost impossible to treat.............hince the injectable meds..

It is a good sign the fish seems better, all you can do is try and pray.

Keep us posted.

Remember whatever med you use in the water may cause problems with the cycle and you have to be on top of that.

Good News! I managed to find some Maracyn-2...It turned out I just used plain maracyn before.

I'm changing the water and then I will start medication tomorrow :)

(He's already some better, but the red streaks and white eyes are still there, even if somewhat diminished)

Archived