Fins Disappearing, Fish Dying

Guest morgannsmommy1

Guest morgannsmommy1

I have some big goldfish about 3 inches with tails , i dont know what they are, and some little "common goldfish" about 1.5" and my little ones keep loosing their side fins. (Sorry, i dont know all the technical words for these things, im new.) Anyway, their fins are gone and then they cant swim and then they die. Three so far. Do you think the bigger ones are eating them? What should i do? Thanks for all the help in advance.

We need to know a bit more about your set up.

If you could look in there and at the top you will find a white box, if you could copy and paste that into a post and answer the questions then this will help us. :)

Guest morgannsmommy1

Ammonia Level about .5 i have the test strips and have been checking daily because my water was so bad and cloudy and i vacumed and water changed 25% added stress coat and stress zyme and it has really cleared up. That was five days ago and im supposed to add it again in two days and do a 10% water change.

Nitrite Level? dont know

Nitrate level? dont know

Ph Level? dont know

Ph Level out of the Tap? dont know

Tank size(How many Gals) and How long has it been running? about 40-50gals and running for 3weeks, only had fish in it for 2 weeks though

What kind of Filtration? ummm, i dont know what it is called it sits on the out side of the tank and has a suction that droped in side the tank. its for a 50-60 gallon tank

How often do you change the water and how much? only changed it once so far 25% and vacumed it then also

What kind of Water additives or conditioners? none

Any Medications add to the tank? stress zyme, and stress coat

How many fish in the tank and their size? five 3"ers and 7 1 1/2"ers oh and i have a sucker fish also

Add any new fish to the tank? just all these

What do you feed your fish? Wardley flakes and crumbles twice a day and one alge disc per day

Any unusual findings on the fish? Such as "grains of salt", bloody streaks, frayed fins, fungus? just my little ones loosing fins

Any unusual behavior? Like staying

at the bottom, not eating, ect..? they were staying at the bottom before i did all the above and now they swim all over up and down and seem very happy. They come to the side when they see me walk by so of course i have to stop and talk to them!

If you can what is the chloramines Level from the Tap? dont know what this one means, i used bottled water to do the water change and then filled them up and they have been sitting so they should be good for the 10% change in two days.

I hope this is what you were asking for.

I am going to move this to the diagnosis section.

Since you have answered the questions we should be able to help you better.

You will need to get tests for the nitrites, nitrates, PH this is vital info you and we need.

When you say you have a sucker fish, are you refering to a pleco? If it is a common pleco he could be attacking the fish. They don't get along with gf and will hurt them.

Also water quality is the most important thing you can do to help the fish become healthy and stay that way.

You will need to become familar with cycling, also how many fish do you have? Common gf need 20 gals of water each and fancy gf 10 gals each. This is important because they are messy fish and produce alot of waste that hurts them.

When you get the tests, please test your tap water. I am not sure if Bottled water is ok, I can never remember but either that or distilled don't have enough nutrients in the water to have healthy fish.

Also the stress coat and stress zyme are conditioners, not meds. You need water condtioner every time you change the water, but I will mention that stress coat contains aloe and can "goop" up the gills and cause problems. I recommend Prime, I have had wonderful experience with it.

Guest morgannsmommy1

Where do i get the test for these nitrites/nitrates/PH. I live in the middle of nowhere and we only have a nnnnnn which doesnt sell much. I couldnt even get my fish here, i had to drive 1 1/2 hrs to pick them up. I dont know what kind of sucker fish i have. He is spotted dark brown and black. He was listed as ok to put with my gf on the tanks when i picked them up. My water quailty is much better now. I think it was just going through the new tank stage. So...any ideas about their fins?

I believe that poor water quality is what is happening to the fins, along with the pleco attacking them.

Call the store you got the pleco at and inquire if it is a common pleco, if it is then it DOESN't go with gf. Most fish stores say it is ok, but experienced hobbiest say they don't. They are aggressive to the passive gf and will grow to 2 ft and eat them.

What store you got the fish from will more than likely have the tests. If not you can order them online at Big Al's. The drop tests are better than the strip tests.

Archived