7 Goldies In A 55 Gal

Guest fantail_luver

Guest fantail_luver

hello, I have a standard 55 gallon with a aqua clear 500. It pumps water at a rate of 500 gallons per hour so i guess my tank gets filtered 9 times an hour? I was just wondering if I keep 7 goldies in here will the get stunted? the current residents are 3.5 inches including their tails.

Saying a fish will be "stunted" is :like taking a peek at a tip of an iceberg and saying "look - an icecube".

The reason it is recommended that at least 10 gallons of water per fish is used is that this is the minimum that you can house a goldfish in and relatively easily keep the water parameters in ideal ranges for the fish.

You can, with the proper know-how, testing, filtering, and changing, keep more fish than that. But it becomes very difficult, bordering on impossible, to keep the water healthy and clean and ideal for them. The more the water varies from that ideal, the more problems the fish will have. The least of these problems is that the fish will not necessarily grow to their full potential in size. This problem is further complicated by the fact that the fish will be somewhat stressed (depending on water quality), and stress leaves a fish open to every opportunisitic bacteria, fungus, virus and parasite that may happen along.

It is really all about the water. If the water remains in perfect parameters, the fish will thrive and grow.

When you have an overstocked tank it is difficult to maintain zero ammonia, zero nitrite, low nitrates, good oxygen levels, proper circulation, less hormone levels, good feeding practices and strong swimming areas for the fish. The more fish that are added, the less quality the water will have and the more problems arise.

A fish needs to spend its energy growing and swimming happily - not fighting parasites or poor water. The average person has the time, strength and abilty to change and keep the water clean about once a week. 10+ gallons per goldfish allows this service of once a week to work for you. Fewer fish - 1 fish per 30 gallons can potentially let you lengthen or simplify your care regiment. More fish - 3 fish in a 20, will make is so you have to change much more often and keep a much closer eye on the parameters. You will also have to increase the filtration of the tank.

To properly have a biological filter work to process ammonia, the beneficial bacteria have to have contact with the ammonia. You accomplish this by pumping the ammonia/nitrite filled water past their colonies that are residing in your filter. The more water you pass through the filter, the more ammonia/nitrite your filter can process. If you have an overstocked tank, you need to pass much more water per hour through the filter to give the bacteria a chance.

AT 500 gph, you do not have enough filtration to support those 7 fish as they grow. As little guys at 3.5 inches, they are probably doing ok right now, but when they get to be 6 months old and are 5-6 inches long, you will start to have problems and at 1 year of age when they hit 8 inches plus each, your tank will no longer be healthy or happy for them.

:)

Guest fantail_luver

thanks for the info! :) Im just going to keep at the most 4 in my 55. maybe even three. It is better to have a couple of healthy fishes rather than packing in as many fish as possible! so where does stunting fit in? Isn't it just a myth that goldies grow to the size of the tank there in?

It is a myth that is based in fact. If you are attempting to keep too many fish in too small a volume of water, the water quality will suffer. When the water quality is not ideal, the fish will use precious strength to deal with the stress, parasites and diseases that come hand in hand with poor water. They do not have the opportunity to grow to their full potential.

So, yes, a fish will "grow to fit the container" for they cannot grow well or large without a healthy environment. They also will not necessarily live as long as they could, nor will they breed or even be as bright, active, and social as they would be in more volume.

A goldfish keep in small, poorly maintained volume of water will never grow to be the "monster of flashing gold" told of in the volumes of fish lore.

Archived