One Of My Yabbies Is Turning Blue

Fishmerised

We've had our 2 yabbies for almost a year now. They were feeder yabbies bought at a school fete (fair) and were the usual brownish colour.

Well, yabbies are very smelly when kept in small tanks, mine are in a 5g and a 6g respectively. In an effort to reduce the odour and improve water quality I recently removed the gravel and replaced it with a few small river stones. I also added a small sponge/charcoal filter driven by an airpump to both tanks.

The results were amazing! The larger yabbie lightened his colour to a kharki grey and developed blue nippers. The smaller yabbie moulted and now has blue nippers, legs, tail and attenea. His body has changed to a lightish grey. They both look so much better now and the blue one is very pretty. :D

That does sound cool. Are yabbies like crawfish/crayfish? My son had one after a class project that he brought home and I very quickly realized the need for a filter! :ill He molted a couple of times, but he would just be a brighter red, no color changing. I have seen blue ones in the shop though and they are really neat looking. Ok, we all keep wanting to see pics of your stuff, I think you need another cheap camera instead of this nice expensive one that you hate to use! :rofl

Guest mickey85

IIRC, yeah, yabbies are like crayfish, crawdads, mud bugs, etc....whatever you want to call them...the freshwater things that look like teensy lobsters.

Archived