Ammonia And Ph High

I thought my celestial tank was cycled (I went on vacation and left the filter running, came back home and the readings were all normal), but I checked the water of the tank last night and found that the ammonia was 2.0 and the PH was 8.0. Beaker was acting really funny and was worrying me , so to prevent any further ammonia poisoning I moved both of them into my quantine tank. They both seem happier now, but my quantine tank is now overstocked. Will they recover from any ammonia poisoning?

Second, how can I get my tank cycled and back on track? Is it the water that needs cycling or is it the filter? Can I do a 100% water change and use the water from my quantine tank to jump start the cycle, or should I get a small non-goldfish to?

Glad you got them out of there! With your pH, ammonia starts getting toxic at .25ppm. High ammonia keeps them from being able to excrete ammonia via their gills, so it builds up in their blood and affects their brain. I'd just keep the water happy and keep an eye on them. increase airation if they seem to be having a hard time breathing (e.g. hanging out at the surface). If you start seeing any black areas, that's healing from ammonia burns.

So what happened between when you checked it after vacation and when you saw ammonia? Did you do anything to the filter pad?

I'd use partial water changes and an ammonia binder (amquel or prime) to lower ammonia down below .25ppm in the main tank. Since everyone's been exposed to whatever's in the QT tank, take the filter pad from the QT tank and rinse is briskly in the main tank after the partial water changes. That should add some biofilter bacteria. gravel and or ornaments from the QT tank would also bring in some biobugs. Biospira would also help if you can get ahold of it.

When you say it affects their brain is that perminent? My fish doesn't eat like he usually does. I have to put him in a little container and then he comes up to eat. I hope he doesn't stay like that, poor little guy :(

I didn't do anything to the tank besides add the celestials. Guess the tank just wasn't cycled yet.

I don't know. Just keep his water happy and keep an eye on him. Sounds like you're doing fine.

It takes a while for the biofilter bacteria to catch up when you add more fish and you have little leeway on ammonia. So how's the main tank doing?

Archived