Poorly Telescope, High Nitrite

Guest supreme_presence

Guest supreme_presence

Please help.

I did a partial water change 20% last week. The next day I noticed 'Goggles' my White Butterfly telescope was hiding in the corner, on the gravel with fins collapsed.

I took some water to the pet shop for testing and it went really red. The lady told me not to feed the fish for a few days, do a part water change and then test again in 10 days. I didnt want to leave him there that long so I went straight home to do a 50% water change, I then added aquarium salt and a bag (I cant remember what they call it), but it's like a big tea bag which should be left for a few days in the tank and it reduces ammonia and Nitrites to 0.

Anyway before all this my readings were

Ph 7.8

Ammonia 0

Nitrites 4.0 Yikes

Nitrates 40

After leaving for 3 days I tested again and the measurements are the same?

Any ideas please?

I know I'm over stocked but cant do anything about that until I move in about 6 weeks.

I have a 30L tank with 2 pearlscales, 1 blackmoor and 2 telescopes in. These are all currently small at about 2 inches.

I know I must sort this as the guy in the pet shop showed me a black moor the size of a hand ( I really had no idea they get this big). In the meantime please help me make my water safe for the fish.. even if it requires a lot of maintenance.

The best you can do is to test your water each day and do 50% after each test until your nitrite level gets to 0.

After you get to 0 you will have to keep monitoring your water and at the slightest increase do more water changes. Its probably going to be an every day job until you get a bigger tank.

Guest Chishower

That is alot of fish load for a tank under 10 gallons. Your looking at needed a 55 gallon to house all those comfortably. And they can get alot bigger than a hand. :D

Is there any way you can dig up some rubbermade tubs? They make effective temporary housing until you can get a bigger tank. Just strap some bungie cords around it, fill it up, and slap on a filter.

Filtration is prolly another issue in your tank. You want 10gph per gallion, ie 100gph for a 10, 200 gph for a 20, and so on. Your going to want a little more than that, though, becuase you are so overstocked.

Good luck with getting your tank situation figured out! :)

Guest supreme_presence

I need to do something, and water changing looks to be the way forward!

I know it's my fault not looking into it properly before I went and bought the fish, I just looked at the tank and (before coming here), gigured that 8 fish would live comfortably in the tank without getting in each others way. I didn't figure theyd turn into giants and I didnt know about water chemistry.

I guess Ignorance is no excuse really. Still best try to make the most of a bad situation. As long as I have 5 fish in my care i will try my damndest to keep them flapping!

Guest supreme_presence

I did a 50% water change last night.. added more salt and then tested. The Nitrite test tube still went really red so it must be way off the scale because my card only goes upto 4.0 which is labelled as 'deadly'?

I'm going to go to the pet shop today to see if theres some kind of bacteria to put in the filter to reduce the level. Is it worth getting a filter for a bigger tank and fitting that in there?

Problem is, I dont want to send massive currents around the tank washing, fish, plants, food and anything else around in circles.

I currently have a 220lph filter in a 30L tank with 5 fish (bad I know).

BTW 'Goggles' appears to be more active since I added salt although he still has his resting moments which may be due to lack of oxygen if Nitrites are too high.

Guest Chishower

How much salt did you add?

I don't think it could hurt to add another filter...I have a 5 gallon qt set up with a filter for a 30 gallon tank slapped on there with daily water changes and the fish is doing fine, but its also a much larger fish than what I think you have in there. Could you get one to get the filtration up to about 400lph? If there is too much current, you can always put some plants or something infront of the outtake.

You NEED to get nitrites down. I suggest a 100% water change at this point. Its stressfull, but nitrites that high are deadly. (like the card said)

Is there anyway you can pick up and air pump and air stone? That would help with oxygen.

See if you can pick up a large plastic container while your out...I don't know where you live and I dont think they have rubbermades out of the US...but you should be able to find something.

Archived