Tank Overcrowded!

gialeigh

I have a 55 gallon tank and unfortunatly it is way overcrowded. I had to get rid of my pond and the biggest tank we could afford was a 55. I have 13 fish in there now. 11 of those fish are less than 1.5 inches (body length), and 2 of them are about 3 inches (body lenth). If I add up all the inches it should be no more than 28. I had heard somewhere that the general rule is 1 gallon per inch of fish. Until I get another tank, should this be ok for awhile???

How big can I expect my lionheads, orandas, and fantails to get in one year?

How big will my comet and shubunkin get in one year?

Hi gia - general rule of thumb is 10gal per fish. This is calculated on waste vs healthy growth rate....

Their growth will depend on their conditions - they will grow big (and fast) when they have more room.

Hope this helps :)

Oh yeah I know 10 gallons per fish...Im just wondering if they will be ok for the next year. I have no choice right now, but if they are not going to be ok in there for another year I need to find new homes for them. That is why I ask. I understand that fish can get 8 or 10 inches and that is probably why I have always heard 1 gallon per inch of fish. That makes sense. But they are babies now. So I am just wondering how big they will be in a year. If they will be full grown in a year then I will have to find them new homes.

To be honest gia - you could keep them all alive in a 55 but their full growth potential may be compromised. The way you could do it is by ensuring your tank is cleaned weekly/bi-weekly and increase your filtration - especially as they produce so much waste.

The real thing that worries me with overstocking is that fish do become more suseptible to illness brought on by stress ....

Maybe at some stage you could get an additional 20 gal - this could take the burden off your 55? ... Every little bit helps :)

Oh yes absolutly. We just cant do it in the next year or so. We just dont havae room for another tank! I really want another 55 gallon, but we live in Military housing and it is just so small. We will be out in a year and a half and moving 2 55 gallon tanks across the country is just not something I want to do anyway. I usderstand that this is not the ideal way to keep fish, but like I said I have no choice unless I give them away. Is that what I should do? Under normal circumstances, how big would these particular fish get in a year? Would regular water changes twice a week help them to grow better?

A year can be too long and stunting may set in. I would find some homes. Once the tank or pond is up and you can upsize the amount of fish you can get more. But for their health it would be best.

I agree that you should have 10 gal per goldfish. Although, the information packet that came with my fishtank said that while 1 gal per inch of fish is ok for tropicals, for goldfish the rule is 2 gal per inch (which means you are ok for a while). It is easier to see from this rule how one goldfish will be ok in 10 gal until it is 5 in long, in which case most people would agree the fish would need even more space. I do not believe that the info packet is the best source of knowledge specific for goldfish, but you can take this as something to consider.

With your current situation, I think the fish will live adequatly well if you keep up with watching the water levels and very frequent water changes. Water changes are even more improtant now, not only because of waste products, but because goldfish emit a hormone that allows them to "feel" how much space they have to live in. As this hormone builds up in the water, the growth of the fishies will be stunted. Water changes will help keep this hormone level down, allowing your little fish to grow and be healthy. There was a good article on this board somewhere that addressed this topic.

Good luck, and remember to work towards getting them more space as soon as possible.

I think that they will be okay, but they might now grow as fast as most will...I'm not sure how much a goldfish will grow in a year, but it does depend on living conditions

Sadly i learned the hard way.I had about 5-7 fish in a 25 gallon.

Its really hard to support and take care of them. I was lucky that they

didn't catch many sicknesses. But the water was horrible i always had to

do water changes, extra filtration. And im sure a few of my fish are Stunt.

And won't grow anymore.

-Alex

yes, I agree, it is a lot of work to have to do when you are over stocked. I had 5 goldfish in a 5 gallon fish bowl(in 1992) and I had ten gallon of water sitting in empty water jugs and I did water changes every day...I guess that is the only reason they were so healthy. One lived to be 11 years old and the rest weer about 8 years old(I eventually move then into a 20 gal and then a 30 gallon)

Oh wow! Oldie Goldies! Well, I change 50% every week. Sometimes I do 25% twice or 50% once. Maybe I should do 50% twice every week? I like all the suggestions thank you!

Archived