I Heard..

Guest Pahwanga

Guest Pahwanga

Hi, someone told me that a fish will only grow to suit it's enviroment. Is it healthy for a fish not to grow to it's full potential? for instance, I have a baby pearlscale which is about 1 1/2 " in a 3 gallon tank, if I kept it in that tank would it still grow?? I am moving my gold fish into a larger tank once it's ready but I was just wondering if being in that tank is hindering it's natural growth.

I'm sure someone can answer my question. Seems to be a lot of goldfish experts around here. It's nice having so many people I can count on for advice concerning my goldie.

Guest mellowr

lol im no expert but i do know it depends on environment, food & genetics. Pearscales usually can grow big but not monster size, actually fairly small compared 2 a fantail etc. also something about growth suppressing hormones that inhibit further growth to protect itself from overgrowing the tank. thats all i know!

I know that most do not recommend keeping fish in cramped conditions. I think they release the growth stunting hormone when they breath. Im not sure how regular water changes affects this. Three gallons is very tiny for a goldfish. For awhile it may be ok. I was always told one gallon of water for every inch of fish. Goldfish can get to 10 inches which explains why the experts say to put your fish in 10 gallons per goldfish. My tank is overcrowed as it is and it makes me very nervous. I do extra water changes. I do 50% ever week instead of 25%. Sometimes 2 water changes each 25% or one big one of Friday. If you absolutly cant get a bigger tank I would suggest changing the water weekly...not 100%, but maybe 50%. Keep a close eye on your water parameters. Get a test kit if you dont already have one. That is a very important tool to have.

Lol I tend to rant went Im thinking about something! Almost didnt remember the question you asked! Lol I do not think it will hurt the fish if its growth is stunted. It is the ammonia in the small tank that I would be more concerned with (hence the essay above). Although in my opinion, keeping a fish in crapped conditions its whole life seems the equivelant of keeping a dog in a closet for its whole life. They need room to MOVE! lol.

Guest cshepard

It will grow big enough to cause water quality problems that will not be solved by weekly water changes. It will become constantly stressed by this and be way more suseptible to disease. It will not live more than a few years (out of a potential of 10+) even if you keep the water pristine.

Read Kokos' comments on this:

Bowl vs tank

My analogy is more like keeping a St. Bernard in a one bedroom apt. Sure you can keep him clean and well fed but it will be a major pain, there will be no muscle tone, no build up of an immune system, extreme boredom and he would be an animal simply existing in a space with no quality of life whatsoever.

Forcing a fish that normally grows to 6 - 10 inches to become stunted is not healthy for it in any respect. If you want to keep a fish in a 3g tank you should choose a small fish.

IT is true that they only grow so big, because of their enviornment. But it is not healthy. Stunted fish are very unhealthy. The best way I can make a comparison is to the Japanese women who only put their feet in very tiny shoes after a while their feet "adjust" but they suffer from it. The feet are not shaped right therefore compications set in.

The fish are the same way, deformed, not healthy and don't live to their potintial whether it be in body or in life span.

Archived