Measuring Goldfish Length

d_golem

I've often confused on the measurements of goldies. when someone said a 2-inch goldfish, is it including the tail, or only the body? if it's including the tail, then a 2-inch fantail would be pretty tiny cos half of the legth would be the tail, if it's a 2-inch ranchu, then the fish is significantly bigger than the fantail cos most of the length is the body. Bruce the giant oranda is now about 17 inches i think? is it including the tail? :huh:

cheers

Hi! From what I understand, the length reference usually means tip to tip of tail.

Is that right? I think, it would be very hard to measure the legth with tail accurately - whenever I measure GN his tail is too slowly to get a good idea! When I say he is 5" I mean his body - I thin for a poll somewhere I took guestimated measurements of his tail from tip to ends horizontally and tip to tip vertically.

Dunno about Bruce but it woul dbe nice to have an update! :D

an update on the world's longest goldfish.

just checked guiness world records, the longest goldfish (carassius auratus) is owned by Joris Gijsbers of Netherlands and it's 47.4 cm (18.7 inches) :blink: !! doesn't state what breed of goldfish it is

You know I thought that was weird that Bruce was claimed to be the biggest GOLDFISH. Maybe the biggest ORANDA would be more accurate. I always thought the common could get bigger.

In general, a fish is measured from nose tip to tail tip. BUT, it is done the other way quite often - I would say just as often. Since this is the case, I always qualify my measurements by stating which way it is - nose to tail or body only.

As d_golem states, a 5 inch Ranchu is a substantially larger fish than a 5 inch veiltail if measured from nose to tail tip! :)

Archived