My Betta Died Last Night

Lachfa

My purple and white betta has always been more quiet than the red one. The red one got through the divider the day I put them in the 5 gallon tank and beat the purple one up, so I just thought maybe he was scared of him somewhat. Yesterday when I got home he was floating with his head near the top of the water. I thought he was dead, but he was still breating. He had white cotton looking stuff on one side. I assumed it was a fungus from a wound that I could not see. I treated the water with salt and - gee my mind has gone blank - the tea tree oil stuff. I turned the heater up a few degrees and turned the light off. I also added a few drops of some stuff I had for my pond that would treat fungus - I can't rembmer the name of it either. He was dead this morning.... :cry1

Oh no, not the pretty purple and white one! :( Im so sorry to hear that. You had just gotten him too, how sad.

It could have been a bacterial infection which is why it took him so fast. Poor little thing, sometimes theres just nothing you can do for that. The tea tree stuff is Melafix which I personally dont feel has any antibiotic properties. (It heals torn fins though).

I would do a water change and keep a close eye on your other fish. If he starts to show any of the same signs treat with an antibiotic like Maracyn 2. Also your tank is reasonably new right? Any ammonia or nitrite present?

Yes, that was him. My daughter is pretty upset. I used the Melefix I guess hoping it would help with stress more than anything, and for lack of anything else to use. I did a particial water change last night, but didn't get the water tested - my mind was running everywhere. I was leary to use the other med that I did, but my daughter insisted so I did. I knew last night he did have much of a chance. I thought I had all of the meds I needed in case of an emergency, but I guess I didn't. Yes, the tank is new, but I have never had any problems before cycling a tank - but this one is small. I am also not crazy about the filter it has. I bought this tank used and it has an underground filter, with one tube coming out of the center/back, a tube runs down the outside of the tube from a pump and it blows bubbles up the center of the tube and out the top - I don't see how it filters the water.... Anyway, I will test the water tonight and see how the other fish is doing. Thanks guys!

My other betta was hanging out on the bottom of the tank last night. I tested the water and it was not good - had ammonia and nitrates in it. Even after I did a particial water change the night before. I did a 50% last night and will watch it very close the next few days. I can't beleive I did that - I have been so busy and put off my usual Sunday tank maintenance. He was hanging on this morning and ate his breakfast which is good - maybe he will make it.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest melanippe

I have had zero luck with the melefix (I think we're spelling it wrong) with bettas; maybe it's just me..........

Anyway you all know the tea tree oil stuff for fish........too lazy to go get my bottle to check spelling. :thud

Archived