I'm Confused

Guest ckolstad

Guest ckolstad

Okay...here's my story...I bought 5 tropical fish from a nearby tropical fish store. I have a diamond, 2 cherry, shark, and another one I don't know the kind. Anyway, we don't have a heater but they've survived almost a week. The owner of the fish store said we wouldn't need one. Is it possible we really don't? And if we do, what can happen to the fish?

You will only get away without a heater if your room temperature doesnt fall below 26c and any water changes must be done with temperature matched water using dechlorinator.

How big is your tank and did you cycle it first?

are these the fish?

diamond tetra

http://www.petresources.net/fish/characin/moe_pit.html

cherry barb

http://www.thetropicaltank.co.uk/Fishindx/cherbarb.htm

what kind of shark? Is it silver thin and have black on its tail and top fin? if so it could be a bala and will reach 12 inches at least and because its a schooling fish must have others and is only suitable for a 55 gallon tank minimum.

Guest ckolstad

Yes, those are the fish. My shark is a red tailed black shark. Our house temperature never goes below 75f at night and during the day I leave it on 79-80f. My shark seems to be a little bit of a loner. My barbs stick together and my diamond and mystery fish play together. I also mistakinly stuck a black moor goldfish in with them. I was told he was tropical. I'll be getting rid of him. He's eating the tropical flakes and keeping my tropical fish from eating. I wish I found out more before starting our aquarium. We just trusted the shop owner, took his word. How do you test the PH level of the water? Can I use a regular thermometer to get the water temp? I appreciate everyone's help.

The thermometer of any type i presume will work fine.

The moor can go in tropical temperatures but not with fish he will eventually eat.

You can buy strips that will give you quite an accurate reading from your tank which has everything you really need on it. You need one that measures nitrite, nitrate and ph. You will have to buy an ammonia kit seperately.

You havent said how many gallons the tank holds, as tetras need to be in groups.

Guest ckolstad

well, sad to say my moor just died. We bought him from nnnnnn. maybe that's why he had a bad eye. he was in a pretty small tank with 15-20 other moors and kois. i have a 30 long and i believe it holds 20-25 gallons. would u advise me then, to get 2-3 more tetras? Would u know the most i could have in my tank? i know for sure we wany to get another red tailed shark. he might like having another of his kind with him. what do u think?

The shark must be kept on its own as its aggressive to its own species. They grow to 12 cm roughly so will need a bigger tank soon.

How long has the tank been going as this will determine if you can add any more fish just yet.

Guest ckolstad

Yeah, i just found out that they're aggressive to their own kind. The tank has been going for almost a week with fish and a week without fish.

Until the cycle has completed i think you have enough fish as adding more could overload the filter before its ready.

You should get a test which meaures ammonia, nitrite and nitrate and regularly test your water to make sure the ammonia and nitrite levels dont go above 1.

Archived